JM Smucker Co. was recently forced to issue a voluntary recall for a large batch of its Jif peanut butter products after an outbreak of salmonella was traced back to one of its plants in Kentucky by the FDA. Many people have been suffering from adverse health effects after consuming the contaminated peanut butter. Davis Law Group is accepting cases to bring a lawsuit against the manufacturer.
Criteria for Jif Lawsuit
The contaminated products must match the released list of UPC numbers and Product Codes. The affected batches have product codes beginning with 1274425-2140425. The UPC can be found on the barcode. For a full list, you should check the Jif website, but the specific products include:
- Jif Creamy Omega 3 (16 oz)
- Jif Creamy Peanut Butter (various sizes)
- Jif Creamy Peanut Butter Can (4 lb)
- Jif Peanut Butter To Go (various sizes)
- Jif Crunchy Peanut Butter To Go (8-count)
- Jif Extra Crunchy Peanut Butter (various sizes)
- Jif Natural Creamy Peanut Butter (various sizes)
- Jif Natural Crunchy Peanut Butter (various sizes)
- Jif Natural Creamy Peanut Butter Honey (16 oz)
- Jif Natural Honey (40 oz)
- Jif No Sugar Added (various sizes)
- Jif Portion Control Peanut Butter (1.1 oz, 120-count)
- Jif Reduced Fat Creamy Peanut Butter (various sizes)
- Jif Squeezable Pouch (13 oz)
In order to bring a claim against Jif and JM Smucker Co. you will need to have been diagnosed with a salmonella infection by a doctor, including a stool sample that was positive for the bacteria. If you have consumed a contaminated Jif product and begin to feel ill, it is best to seek out medical attention. Evidence in cases like these is crucial, so a diagnosis is necessary.
Next Steps for Jif Lawsuit
Jif is offering refunds to people who purchased contaminated batches. The form to submit that request can be found on their website. However, they ask anyone suffering from adverse effects, such as contracting salmonella, to contact them. It is highly advisable to first consult with an experienced product liability attorney.
Davis Law Group has over twenty years of experience helping victims of corporate wrongdoing get the compensation they deserve. Free consultations are available for victims to see if hiring a lawyer is in their best interest. If you or someone you know has fallen ill after eating a contaminated Jif product, you can schedule a free case review using the chat or contact form on this page, or by calling 206-727-4000.