Dog bites and attacks are very common and can cause serious injuries, including permanent disfigurement, nerve and tissue damage and psychological trauma. In extreme cases, dog attacks may result in death. If you have been attacked by a vicious dog in Seattle or elsewhere in Washington state, you may need the help of the experienced dog bite attorneys at Davis Law Group, P.S. in order to get compensation for your losses.
Dog Bite Victims' Rights Lawyers
Davis Law Group founder Chris Davis is one of the most respected and recognized civil litigation lawyers practicing in Washington State. Davis Law Group has been named Best Injury Law Firm in Washington State by AI Dispute Resolution Awards.
Chris Davis is considered by many to be the top dog bite law attorney in Washington State. Back in 2010 Washington Super Lawyer Magazine featured Mr. Davis in an articled entitled: When The Dog Bites....It's Time to Call in Christopher M. Davis.
If you or a loved one has been injured after being bitten or attacked by a dog, it is important for you to act quickly to protect your rights. Davis Law Group has the experience and expertise necessary to conduct a proper investigation into the circumstances of your injuries and who may be responsible. Contact us today by calling (206) 727-4000.
Washington Dog Bite Attorney In The News
Attorney Chris Davis has handled some of the most notable dog attack cases in recent Washington State history. As a prominent injury lawyer with experience in handling serious dog bite and pit bull attack legal claims, Davis is often featured by local or national new media covering dog-bite-related issues and/or some of his cases. You may have him on local stations such as KING5, KOMO4, KIRO7 and Q13Fox. Many of his cases have been featured on local and national new programs.
Here are just a few cases you may have seen in the news. Click here to see video of TV interviews.
UPS Driver Four Pitbull Attack - Kevin Backlund, the UPS driver attacked by four pitbulls in Puyallup in September 2017 is currently working with attorney Chris Davis and has appeared in TV and news radio interviews with Davis over the course of the case including when the 9-1-1 tapes were released; during the dangerous dog appeal hearing; post-hearing outcome; and an extended interview with KIRO radio's Dori Monson detailing the horrific attack.
Woman Mauled By Two Pitbulls Outside Tacoma Smoke Shop - Donna Berto was viciously mauled by two pit bull dogs in a Tacoma area shopping center, suffering serous injuries to her face, arms and legs. Donna hired attorney Chris Davis to represent her legal interests. You may have seen Donna and Chris interviewed on InsideEdition.
Woman's Face Disfigured In Pitbull Attack - A woman suffered serious injuries to her face when she was attacked by a pit bull while crossing a Burien. She was disfigured in the attack, with the majority of the damage done to her mouth and chin area. The case made the news when the owners started a legal fight to try to keep their pitbull from being put down. Attorney Chris Davis appeared at hearings and supported the victim during news interviews. The dog was distroyed.
Man Dies From Fatal Dog Bite - Just one day after being bitten by a dog with a long history of agreesion and other bites, a Burien man developed severe pain from a bacterial infection caused by a bacteria commonly found in animal saliva. Similar to a flesh-eating bacteria, the infection quickly spread and the man died. The case drew media attention when the family hired Davis Law Group to file a lawsuit to seek justice.
Featured Dog Bite Client Stories
Washington State Dog Bite Laws
Washington’s Dog Bite Law imposes strict liability on the dog’s owner for injuries inflicted by the animal on another personal. The relevant statute, RCW 16.08.040, states as follows:
The owner of any dog which shall bite any person while such person is in or on a public place or lawfully in or on a private place including the property of the owner of such dog, shall be liable for such damages as may be suffered by the person bitten, regardless of the former viciousness of such dog or the owner’s knowledge of such viciousness.
In other words, dog owners are legally responsible for physical, emotional, and economic damage caused by their dog attacking another person. The owner is responsible if the attack occurred in a public place or a lawfully private place, including the dog owner’s own private property, so long as the victim was legally allowed to be there (i.e. not trespassing or loitering). The statute applies regardless of whether the dog has a history of vicious behavior, which is an important distinction.
Most Dangerous Dog Breeds
The dog breeds listed below tend to be more aggressive than other breeds and are involved in more dog attacks than other brees.
- Pit Bulls
- German Shepherds
- Doberman Pinschers
More Dog Bite Resources
- Washington State Dog Bite Law
- Seattle Dog Bite Ordinance
- King County Washington Dog Bite Regulations
- Seattle Passes Vague New Ordinance, Seattle Weekly, June 28, 2011.
- Does Seattle's Dangerous Dog Ordinance Have Any Real Teeth?
- Dog Bite Cases: Concerns About Insurance
- Most Dangerous Dog Breeds
Baldwin, Steffen. "The Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics Behind Dog Bites." The Huffington Post. TheHuffingtonPost.com, 10 Sept. 2015. Web. <https://www.huffingtonpost.com/steffen-baldwin/the-lies-damn-lies-and-st_b_8112394.html>.
"Dog Bite Liability." Insurance Information Institute., n.d. Web. <http://www.iii.org/issue-update/dog-bite-liability>.
" Dog Bite Prevention." American Veterinary Medical Association. American Veterinary Medical Association, n.d. Web. <https://www.avma.org/public/Pages/Dog-Bite-Prevention.aspx>.
"Dog Bites Accounted For More Than One-Third Of All Homeowners Liability Pay Outs Last Year As Cost Per Claim Soars." Insurance Information Institute. Insurance Information Institute, Inc, 13 May 2015. Web. <http://www.iii.org/press-release/dog-bites-accounted-for-more-than-one-third-of-all-homeowners-liability-pay-outs-last-year-as-cost-per-claim-soars-051315>.
"Fact Sheets: Dogs." American Humane Society. American Humane Society, n.d. Web. <http://www.americanhumane.org/fact-sheet/?fact-sheet-section=dogs>.
"RCW 16.08.040: Dog Bites-Liability." Washington State Legislature. Washington State Legislature, n.d. Web. <http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=16.08.040>.
"U.S. Dog Bite Statistics." DogsBite.org. Lynn Media Group, n.d. Web. <http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics.php>.
Wilson, Sara Logan. "Dog Bite Statistics." Canine Journal. Cover Story Media, Inc., 04 Apr. 2017. Web. <https://www.caninejournal.com/dog-bite-statistics/>.
- $975,000 Settlement for Man Who Died from Dog Bite Read The Client Story
- $600,000 Person Injured In Dog Attack (Case No. 200598, Insurance Company: Grange)
- $500,000 Settlement in Pit Bull Mauling Attack Read The Client Story
- $300,000 Dog Attack (Case No. 200748, Insurance Company: State Farm)
- $250,000 Dog Bite / Confidential Case Details (Case No. 200129, Insurance Company: California Casualty)
- $200,000 Dog Attacks Unsuspecting Victim (Case No. 200819, Insurance Company: Allstate)
- $200,000 Confidential Dog Bite Case (Case No. 200931, Insurance Company: American Bankers of Florida)
- $187,500 Settlement for Dog Bite Victim
- $150,000 Woman Attacked By Pit Bull Mix (Case No. 200670, Insurance Company: Mutual of Enumclaw)
- $150,000 Woman Attacked By Pit Bull (Case No. 200534, Insurance Company: Farmers)
- $150,000 Man Attacked By Pitbull Mix (Case No. 200604, Insurance Company: American Bankers of Florida)
- $127,000 Man Attacked By Dog (Case No. 201063, Insurance Company: Pemco)
- $125,000 For Dog Bite Bite on Arms & Legs
- $100,000 Settlement for Dog Attack Victim Bitten on the Face
- $90,000 Man Attacked By Neighbor's Unleashed Dog (Case No. 200582, Insurance Company: Allstate)
- $80,000 Woman Bitten By Unleashed Dog (Case No. 200533, Insurance Company: Farmers)
- $70,000 Dog Bites Young Boy (Case No. 200980, Insurance Company: State Farm)
- $66,700 Dog Bites Woman On Face (Case No. 200421, Insurance Company: Allstate)
- $60,000 Dog Bites Woman Walking Near Home (Case No. 200754, Insurance Company: State Farm)
- $42,431 Pedestrian Walking Dogs Hit By Minivan From Behind (Case No. 200560, Insurance Company: State Farm)