Davis Law Group founder Chris Davis is one of the most respected and recognized civil litigation lawyers practicing in Washington State. Davis Law Group has been named Best Injury Law Firm in Washington State by AI Dispute Resolution Awards.
Chris Davis is considered by many to be the top dog bite law attorney in Washington State. Washington Super Lawyer Magazine featured Mr. Davis in an articled entitled: When The Dog Bites....It's Time to Call in Christopher M. Davis.
Featured Dog Bite Client Stories
Washington State Dog Bite Laws
Washington’s Dog Bite Law imposes strict liability on the dog’s owner for injuries inflicted by the animal on another personal. The relevant statute, RCW 16.08.040, states as follows:
The owner of any dog which shall bite any person while such person is in or on a public place or lawfully in or on a private place including the property of the owner of such dog, shall be liable for such damages as may be suffered by the person bitten, regardless of the former viciousness of such dog or the owner’s knowledge of such viciousness.
In other words, dog owners are legally responsible for physical, emotional, and economic damage caused by their dog attacking another person. The owner is responsible if the attack occurred in a public place or a lawfully private place, including the dog owner’s own private property, so long as the victim was legally allowed to be there (i.e. not trespassing or loitering). The statute applies regardless of whether the dog has a history of vicious behavior, which is an important distinction.
- Washington State Dog Bite Law
- Seattle Dog Bite Ordinance
- King County Washington Dog Bite Regulations
- Seattle Passes Vague New Ordinance, Seattle Weekly, June 28, 2011.
- Does Seattle's Dangerous Dog Ordinance Have Any Real Teeth?
- Dog Bite Cases: Concerns About Insurance
- Most Dangerous Dog Breeds
Baldwin, Steffen. "The Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics Behind Dog Bites." The Huffington Post. TheHuffingtonPost.com, 10 Sept. 2015. Web. <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/steffen-baldwin/the-lies-damn-lies-and-st_b_8112394.html>.
"Dog Bite Liability." Insurance Information Institute., n.d. Web. <http://www.iii.org/issue-update/dog-bite-liability>.
" Dog Bite Prevention." American Veterinary Medical Association. American Veterinary Medical Association, n.d. Web. <https://www.avma.org/public/Pages/Dog-Bite-Prevention.aspx>.
"Dog Bites Accounted For More Than One-Third Of All Homeowners Liability Pay Outs Last Year As Cost Per Claim Soars." Insurance Information Institute. Insurance Information Institute, Inc, 13 May 2015. Web. <http://www.iii.org/press-release/dog-bites-accounted-for-more-than-one-third-of-all-homeowners-liability-pay-outs-last-year-as-cost-per-claim-soars-051315>.
"Fact Sheets: Dogs." American Humane Society. American Humane Society, n.d. Web. <http://www.americanhumane.org/fact-sheet/?fact-sheet-section=dogs>.
"RCW 16.08.040: Dog Bites-Liability." Washington State Legislature. Washington State Legislature, n.d. Web. <http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=16.08.040>.
"U.S. Dog Bite Statistics." DogsBite.org. Lynn Media Group, n.d. Web. <http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics.php>.
Wilson, Sara Logan. "Dog Bite Statistics." Canine Journal. Cover Story Media, Inc., 04 Apr. 2017. Web. <https://www.caninejournal.com/dog-bite-statistics/>.
- $975,000 Settlement for Man Who Died from Dog Bite Read The Client Story
- $600,000 Person Injured In Dog Attack (Case No. 200598, Insurance Company: Grange)
- $500,000 Settlement in Pit Bull Mauling Attack Read The Client Story
- $300,000 Dog Attack (Case No. 200748, Insurance Company: State Farm)
- $250,000 Dog Bite / Confidential Case Details (Case No. 200129, Insurance Company: California Casualty)
- $200,000 Dog Attacks Unsuspecting Victim (Case No. 200819, Insurance Company: Allstate)
- $200,000 Confidential Dog Bite Case (Case No. 200931, Insurance Company: American Bankers of Florida)
- $187,500 Settlement for Dog Bite Victim
- $150,000 Woman Attacked By Pit Bull Mix (Case No. 200670, Insurance Company: Mutual of Enumclaw)
- $150,000 Woman Attacked By Pit Bull (Case No. 200534, Insurance Company: Farmers)
- $150,000 Man Attacked By Pitbull Mix (Case No. 200604, Insurance Company: American Bankers of Florida)
- $127,000 Man Attacked By Dog (Case No. 201063, Insurance Company: Pemco)
- $125,000 For Dog Bite Bite on Arms & Legs
- $100,000 Settlement for Dog Attack Victim Bitten on the Face
- $90,000 Man Attacked By Neighbor's Unleashed Dog (Case No. 200582, Insurance Company: Allstate)
- $80,000 Woman Bitten By Unleashed Dog (Case No. 200533, Insurance Company: Farmers)
- $70,000 Dog Bites Young Boy (Case No. 200980, Insurance Company: State Farm)
- $66,700 Dog Bites Woman On Face (Case No. 200421, Insurance Company: Allstate)
- $60,000 Dog Bites Woman Walking Near Home (Case No. 200754, Insurance Company: State Farm)
- $42,431 Pedestrian Walking Dogs Hit By Minivan From Behind (Case No. 200560, Insurance Company: State Farm)