Anyone who was injured due to someone’s carelessness or negligence has the right to be compensated for those injuries. A few possibilities include:
- A driver or passenger injured by an Uber or Lyft driver who was at fault
- An Uber/Lyft driver who was injured by another driver
- An injured passenger in an Uber or Lyft vehicle, regardless of which driver is at fault
Why You Need a Seattle Uber/Lyft Lawyer
In accidents involving Uber, Lyft or another one of Seattle’s rideshare services, there are many legal gray areas. These accidents are not like your typical motor vehicle collision, and determining liability and sorting out insurance issues can be a headache.
The injury lawyers at Davis Law Group have represented hundreds of victims hurt in Uber and Lyft accidents. This experience gives our attorneys the legal playbook of how to successfully resolve these accidents. Additionally, attorney Chris Davis and his legal staff aren’t afraid to challenge the multi-billion dollar insurance companies to make sure you get the compensation you’re entitled to.
Having an attorney on your side with the knowledge and financially resources necessary puts you on equal ground. Davis Law Group is the go-to law firm for victims looking to maximize their compensation after an Uber or Lyft accident.
Call today at (206) 727-4000 for a no-obligation case evaluation to find out what your claim is worth. Our experience as Uber and Lyft accident lawyers will help you get the justice you deserve.
Liability in Uber/Lyft Crashes
Determining legal liability in a rideshare accident can be a nightmare. As a victim in one of these accidents, your options depend on two factors: your role (driver, passenger or third party) and which party caused the accident.
- Third party liability. If another driver was at fault and hit the Uber/Lyft car you were in, causing you injuries, you can file a claim against that person’s insurance company. This is essentially like any other motor vehicle accident. If that driver has no insurance or not enough to cover your losses, Uber or Lyft’s insurance may cover you.
- Uber/Lyft liability. If you were a passenger, other driver or pedestrian and an Uber/Lyft driver caused your accident, you can file a claim with Uber/Lyft’s insurance company.
- Uber/Lyft driver. If you are an Uber/Lyft driver and you were injured, the scenarios become more complex.
- Scenario 1. If your accident occurred while off duty or while waiting to be contacted for a trip, you will need to file a claim against your own insurer or the at-fault person’s insurer.
- Scenario 2. If you were working (the app was on) when the accident occurred, Uber/Lyft’s insurance should kick in.
- Scenario 3. If you were working (a rider in the car) and the passenger injures you, you have the right to file a civil lawsuit against the passenger.
Insurance Coverage in Uber/Lyft Accidents
For rideshare companies such as Uber and Lyft, it can be difficult to ensure that their employees are safe and responsible drivers. Uber, for example, checks out the driving history of all its applicants and Lyft requires a driving test for all potential employees, but collisions occur despite ability.
Uber drivers carry a liability insurance policy of $1 million, which would be a good source of compensation should a person be injured. In most cases, this coverage would likely be applicable to passengers inside an Uber vehicle as well as other motorists or pedestrians who may be struck by an Uber vehicle.
As soon as the driver agrees to a trip with an Uber customer, the $1 million liability coverage kicks in.
Lyft has similar terms when it comes to liability insurance coverage, the only difference being that the coverage terms for Uber apply to all 50 states, while Lyft’s apply to every state except for New York.
If a collision occurs while the driver is waiting to be contacted for a trip but has not officially accepted one, then the insurance policy will likely not apply. However, because the Uber driver was technically working, personal insurance also might not apply. People involved in these collisions might fall into the "insurance gap."
- Period 1. The Uber/Lyft driver is on the app, but has not accepted a rider
- Period 2. The driver has matched with a rider and is driving to pick up said rider
- Period 3. The driver has a rider in the car
Uber’s $1 million policy only covers periods 2 and 3. Uber will cover a driver in Period 1 only if the driver does not have insurance or if the insurance refuses to cover the accident. Uber’s Period 1 contingency policy is $50,000 injury, $100,000 total, and $25,000 for property damage.
Compensation After an Uber/Lyft Accident
If you or a loved one has been involved in an Uber or Lyft accident, Davis Law Group can help you recover damages through the civil justice system. Generally speaking, accident victims can recover financially for damages that are considered fair and reasonable, including:
- Medical expenses (hospital bills, therapy costs, rehabilitation)
- Loss of income or loss of future earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage
- Out-of-pocket expenses
The type and amount of damages recoverable vary case to case. Contact an experienced injury lawyer at Davis Law Group to discuss the specifics of your case. (206) 727-4000.
Common Injuries in Uber/Lyft Crashes
The type and severity of a victim’s injuries will depend on the circumstances of the crash. Generally, people involved in Uber or Lyft crashes typically suffer one or more of the following types of injuries:
- Herniated or bulging disc
- Broken bones
- Brain injuries
- Dental injuries
- Lower back injuries
- Burn injuries
- Wrongful Death
- Spinal cord injuries
- Pregnancy complications
- Torn ligaments
Contact a Rideshare Accident Attorney ASAP
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured in an Uber, Lyft, or other type of rideshare accident in Washington state, contact attorney Chris Davis and the team at Davis Law Group at (206) 727-4000 to discuss your personal injury case with our award-winning legal team. Hiring a lawyer may help improve the chances of a successful resolution to your case.
We will review your case free of charge and help you better understand your legal rights and options. If we believe we can help, our attorneys will meet with you for a free legal consultation.