Serious Injuries Caused by Sound Transit
Although Sound Transit has an extensive training and safety program for its drivers, operator error and improper vehicle maintenance is the cause of many accidents. Common bus accident injuries are:
- Head Injuries
- Neck & Back Injuries
- Muscle and Ligament Damage
- Fractured / Broken Bones
- Facial / Cosmetic Injuries
- Foodborne Illness
- Loss of Limb / Amputation Injuries
- Spinal Cord Injuries
Causes of Metro Bus Accidents
Although Sound Transit has an extensive training and safety program for its drivers, operator error and improper vehicle maintenance is the cause of many accidents.
Driver Error Causes Bus Accidents
Frequently driver error is the primary cause of accidents involving a metro bus. Driver inexperience operating a large vehicle or bus can be a factor in these accidents. Drivers who are not properly trained; are tired from long shifts; or are intoxicated often cause accidents. Drivers are under a great deal of pressure to keep buses on time despite traffic—hasty decisions under pressure can also cause collisions. Buses commonly rear-end other vehicles.
Mechanical Problems / Poor Vehicle Maintenance Cause Bus Accidents
Mechanical failure occurs as a result of improperly maintained buses and installation of defective or damaged parts. Following accidents that involve mass transit buses, investigators will review the bus company’s safety records and maintenance history. Investigations will often demonstrate past history that includes numerous safety violations and failed checkups including brake problems and other maintenance issues.
The Value of a Metro Bus Claim
After a Sound Transit crash, there are several types of claims for damages for which you might be eligible. Those include:
- A first-party claim. Also known as a no-fault insurance claim, this is typically provided by the victim’s own insurance coverage. Victims with personal injury protection (PIP) coverage can file a claim with their insurance company, and it will cover immediate expenses related to the accident such as medical bills, lost wages, etc.
- A third-party claim. Filed against the party or individual that caused the crash. This may include the bus company or government agency that oversees the busing. These claims must go through the personal injury legal process and are usually fiercely contested by the bus company.
- Wrongful death claim. In the event that a bus accident causes a fatality, the surviving family members may be eligible for a wrongful death claim for damages.
How a Sound Transit Bus Attorney Can Help
After a serious accident involving a Sound Transit bus, the insurance company for the county will likely want to settle your case as soon as possible, and for as little money as possible. The less money the insurance company pays out, the more money stays in their pockets.
As a victim, you need time to sort things out. How serious are the injuries? What treatment do you need? How much time from work have you missed? These are all considerations, and the mounting bills are likely stressing you out.
By hiring an experienced bus accident attorney to represent you, you can focus on your recovery while we handle the legal side of things. An attorney can help you:
- Make sure you get the proper medical care
- Explain the legal process and the statute of limitations
- Establish liability by investigating the accident independently
- Document your injuries to present a convincing case for damages
- Fight for your right to financial compensation
- Negotiate a settlement that makes you whole financially
Transit Bus Accident Lawyers in Seattle
Davis Law Group, P.S. founder Chris Davis is one of the most respected and recognized civil litigation lawyers practicing in Washington State. Davis Law Group has been named Best Injury Law Firm in Washington State by AI Dispute Resolution Awards.
If you or a loved one has suffered an injury in Washington State, contact car accident attorney Chris Davis and the team at Davis Law Group at (206) 727-4000 to schedule your free legal consultation.