If you trip and fall over a hazard and get injured as a result, it may be considered premises liability. Depending on the location- a grocery store, a park or someone else’s home- the owner of that property could be responsible for your injuries. If that is the case, then you may be entitled to file a claim against the insurance on the property to cover your medical bills and any other damages that resulted from the accident.
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
We most often see slip and fall cases that took place at a private business, such as a grocery store. However, they can happen anywhere, and the common causes of these accidents remain applicable regardless of the location of the accident. Some of those causes include:
- Wet floor with no signage
- Uneven pavement
- Uneven steps
- Missing or broken handrails
- Unsecured floor mats
- Electrical cords across pathways
There are many other reasons you might slip or trip and suffer an injury but the important distinction here is that it was due to the negligence of someone who is responsible for the premises.
Injuries Sustained in a Slip and Fall Accident
Slip and fall accidents cause serious, sometimes fatal, injuries every day in the United States. Some injuries that can occur from a slip and fall are:
- Bruises, cuts and scrapes- these are common injuries in general, but can lead to more serious health issues if not properly treated.
- Broken bones- these are common injuries that can quickly rack up medical costs, and depending on the severity of the break, can lead to tens of thousands of dollars in medical bills.
- Back or spinal cord injuries- if there was a quick motion due to trying to regain balance after slipping, it can lead to whiplash or more severe back and spine injuries.
- Ankle injuries- while a sprained ankle may not seem like a severe injury, they are often some of the most painful and slowest to heal.
- Traumatic brain injury- if someone were to fall and hit their head, it could lead to a concussion or in the worst cases, traumatic brain injury. That would leave that person with a lifetime of specialized medical care ahead of them.
Some injuries that can result from a slip and fall may seem mild, but lots of injuries take time to present their level of seriousness. If you have fallen down somewhere and are unsure if you have been seriously injured, it is best to visit a doctor to be checked out just in case.
When to Contact a Slip and Fall Attorney
The short answer is immediately. If you were injured on a premises that you do not own, there may be some liability on the owner or operator of that location. Consulting with an attorney is free, and they can help best determine whether your accident falls under premises liability and if you would benefit from the assistance of lawyer or if you can proceed with a claim on your own. Most attorneys offer free consultations, so there is no downside to getting their opinion.
Contact Davis Law Group’s Washington Slip and Fall Attorneys
The team at Davis Law Group has a reputation for providing valuable feedback during the case review process. Headed by a Washington slip and fall attorney with over twenty years of experience, the legal team prides itself on only accepting cases with which they can provide real value. If you were injured because you slipped or tripped on a hazard that was negligently left in a walkway you can schedule a free case evaluation by using the chat or contact form on this page, or by calling 206-727-4000.