The award-winning bicycle accident lawyers at Davis Law Group, P.S. have represented injured bicyclists and their loved ones for more than 20 years. Our legal team understands the complex issues that affect bicycle accident cases and can help you better understand your legal rights and whether or not hiring a lawyer may be beneficial to your case. Whether you have been T-boned by a distracted driver, doored by a passenger exiting a car, hooked by a driver who doesn’t understand how to share the road, or fallen from your bike because of a dangerous, poorly-designed roadway, you need an attorney who knows how to handle serious bicycle accident cases.
We will review your bicycle accident case free of charge and help you determine how our attorneys may be able to help add value to your case. Call Davis Law Group at (206) 727-4000 for a no-obligation case review.
What Is A Bicycle Accident Claim Worth?
Each bicycle accident injury case is unique. Many factors go into determining the final number that a victim will be offered in a settlement or verdict after an accident. Some of those factors include:
The Type and Severity of the Injuries
Medical bills play a large role in determining the value of damages after an accident. An injured cyclist who suffered many broken bones and internal organ damage, had to be airlifted to a trauma center, and spent several weeks in the ICU is going to have much higher damages than a cyclist with no broken bones who was treated primarily by a chiropractor and a massage therapist.
The At-Fault Party's Insurance Policy
Law-abiding drivers carry liability insurance that will pay for a victim’s damages if they cause an accident. Insurance policies usually have limits on how much it will cover, no matter how severe the victim’s injuries are. In some cases, if the cyclist was injured by a government vehicle or a commercial vehicle, the available insurance may be higher. In very rare cases, negligent design of the roadway itself may have contributed to the accident; in these cases, an injured cyclist may be able to file a claim against the city or county responsible for designing and/or maintaining the road.
Victim's Missed Time from Work
Lost wages and loss of future income are major factors in the calculation of economic damages. An injured cyclist who lost a year of income, or their entire ability to work, can claim more lost wages than someone who missed a few days of work and went on to make a complete recovery from their injuries.
Whether the Victim is Willing to go to Trial
Many accident victims prefer to avoid the hassle of taking their case to trial. However, in many cases, insurance companies will offer victims more money if they believe that victim is ready to go to trial; because trials are time-consuming and expensive, insurance companies often prefer to pay more money up front to make the whole problem go away.
The Quality of the Law Firm
While any lawyer who has passed the bar in Washington state is allowed to handle accident claims, few are prepared to get the best possible results for their clients. Attorneys who only take personal injury cases usually have more knowledge of insurance law and more experience with complex cases than attorneys who practice many different areas of law. Large personal injury firms often have an incentive to take lots of cases and close them quickly, making a large amount of money for the firm but only collecting a small amount for each individual client. Small personal injury firms are often more selective about the cases that they will take, and more willing to fight for the maximum amount of money their clients deserve.
Bicycle Accident Lawyer In The News
Attorney Chris Davis is regularly featured in the local and national news media to share his legal expertise and discuss high-profile bicycle accident cases that the firm is currently handling. These interviews typically give the client a platform to share his or her story, as well as generating public interest in these situations and adding pressure to the insurance companies to settle our clients' claims fairly.
There are several pros and cons to discussing your bicycle accident case with the news media, and it is always a good idea to learn more about your legal rights and the personal injury legal process before speaking to any members of the media about your accident. Media relations is just one of the many services provided to all clients of Davis Law Group, P.S.
In The News: "Is There a War in Seattle Between Motorists and Cyclists?", The Stranger.
2017 Bike Accident Statistics For Washington State
Washington state prides itself on being bike friendly, however accidents will always happen. According to 2017 data from the Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT):
- Fatal bicycle collisions: 13
- Suspected serious injury collisions: 102
- Suspected minor injury collisions: 546
- Possible injury collisions: 464
- No apparent injury collisions: 80
- Total bicycle collisions: 1,205
2017 King County Bike Accident Statistics
- Fatal bicycle collisions: 5
- Suspected serious injury collisions: 46
- Suspected minor injury collisions: 263
- Possible injury collisions: 208
- No apparent injury collisions: 32
- Total bicycle collisions: 554
Get Your Complimentary Bicycle Accident Book
Many people who have been involved in a bicycle accident simply want to learn more about their own legal rights before contacting a lawyer. Seattle attorney Chris Davis wrote "Wheels Of Justice: The Essential Guide To Bicycle Accident Law In Washington State" to educate bicyclists about the law and how it affects the process of pursuing a personal injury claim. You can order a free copy of the book now, and you will receive it in just a few business days.
Get your complimentary copy of "Wheels Of Justice" today and learn for yourself how to navigate the insurance claims process, or whether hiring an experienced bicycle accident attorney might be in your best interests.
Free Bicycle Accident Case Review
Many accident victims are hesitant to contact a personal injury lawyer after being injured in a bicycle accident because of the common misconception that they cannot afford to hire an attorney. In reality, personal injury lawyers work on a contingency fee basis, which means there is no up-front cost and all attorney fees are paid out of your settlement at the conclusion of your case.
Our award-winning attorneys will review your bicycle accident case for free. If we believe that we can help, we’ll explain how we may be able to improve the overall value of your case and why it may be in your best interests to hire a lawyer. Use the confidential contact form on this page or call (206) 727-4000.
- "Bicycle Safety." Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 11 Apr. 2016. Web. <https://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafety/bicycle/index.html>.
- "Bicycle Safety Data." Highway Loss Data Institute. Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, n.d. Web. <http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/t/pedestrians-and-bicyclists/fatalityfacts/bicycles>.
- "Bicycle Safety." National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. US Department of Transportation, 14 Feb. 2017. Web. <https://www.nhtsa.gov/road-safety/bicyclists>.
- "Injuries to Bicyclists: An Analysis Based on Hospital Emergency Department Data." Federal Highway Administration Research and Technology. U.S. Department of Transportation/Federal Highway Administration, n.d. Web. <http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/publications/research/safety/pedbike/99078/reference.cfm>.
- Kim, Joon-Ki. Bicyclist Injury Severities in Bicycle–motor Vehicle Accidents. Accident Analysis & Prevention, 2007. Web. <http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S000145750600128X>.
- "Pedestrian and Bicyclist Crash Statistics." Pedestrian & Bicycle Information Center. UNC Highway Safety Research Center, n.d. Web. <http://www.pedbikeinfo.org/data/factsheet_crash.cfm>.
- Wachtel, Alan, and Diana Lewiston. "Risk Factors for Bicycle-Motor Vehicle Collisions at Intersections*." RiskFactors. ITE Journal (Institute of Transportation Engineers), 1994. Web. <http://www.bicyclinglife.com/Library/riskfactors.htm>.
Below are just a few of the many bicycle accident cases that have been successfully resolved by Davis Law Group.