The amount of people who regularly ride motorcycles as a primary means of transportation in Seattle has significantly increased over the past couple of years. As has been the case with the increase in bicycle ridership throughout Washington State, the growth in numbers among the motorcycle community is likely due to a number of factors.
The low cost to purchase a motorcycle, small size and superior fuel efficiency over other types of vehicles are all factors that make riding a motorcycle appealing. At the same time, the growth in motorcycle ridership means more vulnerable riders on the roadways, which means the number of motorcycle accidents is likely to increase simultaneously as well.
Free Motorcycle Accident Legal Guidebook
Seattle personal injury lawyer Chris Davis of the Davis Law Group, P.S., has spent many years representing people seriously injured in motorcycle accidents throughout Washington state. Over the years, he has observed his injured motorcycle clients and potential clients repeatedly make the same false assumptions and mistakes after they have been hurt due to the negligence of a driver.
Now, Mr. Davis has written a book that addresses all of the most common mistakes and errors to make sure that motorcyclists do not get hurt twice. "Road to Justice: A Legal Guide to Motorcycle Accident Claims," is free, and information may be priceless.
2017 Motorcycle Accident Statistics For Seattle
- Fatal motorcycle collisions: 6
- Suspected serious injury collisions: 30
- Suspected minor injury collisions: 62
- Possible injury collisions: 95
- No apparent injury collisions: 42
- Total motorcycle collisions: 235
More information on motorcycle accidents in Seattle:
- Approximately 80 percent of all Seattle motorcycle accidents resulted in the cyclist's injury or death.
- Motorcycle riders over the age of 40 are around 20 times more likely to be killed than other drivers of that same age.
- 75 percent of accidents have been found to involve a motorcycle and a passenger vehicle, while the remaining 25 percent of accidents were single motorcycle accidents.
- Almost half of the fatal accidents involved alcohol.
- Injury severity increases with motorcycle size, speed, and alcohol involvement.
- Vehicle failure accounts for less than 3 percent of motorcycle accidents.
- The failure of motorists to detect and recognize motorcycles in traffic is one of the most common factors contributing to motorcycle accidents.
2017 Motorcycle Accident Statistics For Washington State
- Fatal motorcycle collisions: 82
- Suspected serious injury collisions: 372
- Suspected minor injury collisions: 637
- Possible injury collisions: 652
- No apparent injury collisions: 379
- Total motorcycle collisions: 2,122
Motorcycle Accidents In The United States
- There was a 7.1 percent increase in total motorcycle accident fatalities throughout the United States in 2012.
- It’s estimated that between 28 to 33 percent of motorcyclists riding today in Washington State do not have motorcycle endorsements, which amounts to 35,000 people according to the Washington Department of Licensing.
- Motorcycle rider deaths are nearly 30 times more common than drivers of other vehicles.
- Motorcycle riders younger than 40 are 36 times more likely to be killed than other vehicle operators of the same age.
- Motorcyclist error is a more common contributing factor to accidents involving a single vehicle.
Common Injuries In Motorcycle Accidents
Because motorcyclists are afforded significantly less physical protection from the elements of the roadway than an occupant of a standard motor vehicle, the chances of a motorcyclist being seriously injured in a collision are extremely high. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says that a motorcyclist that does not wear a helmet is 10 times more likely to be killed in a collision.
Distracted driving and drunk driving are also significant contributing factors to motorcycle accidents and are often present in fatal motorcycle collisions. If you or a loved one has suffered significant personal injuries because of a motorcycle accident, it may be in your best interests to consult with a personal injury attorney. Call the office of Davis Law Group, P.S., at 206-727-4000 or contact us online to have your case evaluated during a free legal consultation.
Have You Been Injured In A Motorcycle Crash?
If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident, it may be in your best interests to consult with an experienced attorney who regularly represents injured motorcyclists. Motorcycle crash victims often suffer serious injuries and face costly medical bills, and insurance companies often fight these claims to maximize their own profitability.
Call Davis Law Group at (206) 727-4000 for a free case review and to learn more about your legal rights and options for pursuing a claim. We work on a contingency fee basis so there is no obligation and there are no up-front costs if you do decide to hire us to handle your case.