If you are injured in an accident with a GEICO policyholder — or if you are a GEICO customer yourself — you may quickly realize that the insurance company's representatives are employing some of the confusing and frustrating tactics mentioned below. It is very important for accident victims to understand their legal rights after an accident and use that information to protect themselves during the negotiation process.
If you answer “yes” to any of the questions below, you may need a personal injury attorney to assist you with your claim.
- Were you in a motor vehicle accident?
- Did you suffer serious injuries and or miss work?
- Are you a GEICO automobile insurance policy holder?
- Is the person who caused the accident covered by GEICO? Or do you both have GEICO?
- Is the GEICO claims adjuster difficult to work with?
- Did the adjuster give you an unfairly low settlement offer?
- Or did GEICO deny the claim?
Davis Law Group Client Describes GEICO's Tactics
"I got in a car accident, the other person's insurance company was GEICO and they were stalling and trying to not pay. And I was just trying to work with GEICO on their part, thinking they will play fair with me. And they weren't. They were just like 'Nope you're at fault here.'
"They tried making me think it was my fault, I caused the accident and I was at fault, it wasn't their person. And they tried to say, 'Oh well we are only going to pay a percentage of your bills.' And I was like, 'No, it's not going to work this way,' and I came to the point where I couldn't deal with them anymore so I came (to Davis Law Group)."
Do You Have A Case?
The Government Employees Insurance Company (better known as "GEICO") is an American auto insurance company. GEICO is a "wholly-owned subsidiary" of Berkshire Hathaway that as of 2007 provided coverage for more than 13 million motor vehicles owned by more than 12 million policy holders. GEICO offers private passenger automobile insurance in the District of Columbia and all 50 U.S. states.
GEICO generally deals directly with consumers via the telephone and the Internet, freeing up capital that would otherwise be spent on employing insurance agents in the field. The company is now the third largest direct writer of private auto insurance in the United States, and is perhaps best-known for its often humorous advertisements and various mascots.
Lawsuits Against GEICO
You may be considering legal action against GEICO if you were injured in an accident and have an insurance policy from the company, or if you have been injured in an accident with a driver who is insured by the company. The insurance industry's business model is reliant on collecting cash from customers through premiums and deductibles and denying customers payment.
If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident and they or the at-fault driver is a GEICO policyholder, it is important to understand typical settlement tactics that these companies often use to devalue injury victims' claims. Insurance companies are in business for profit, and one of the ways these corporations remain profitable is by minimizing the amount of money they pay out for valid personal injury claims.
Insurance companies such as GEICO are notorious for stalling the release of settlement funds until the last possible second. It's a questionable practice used by a majority of insurance companies today because it keeps money in their pocket. Major insurance companies usually have access to tens of billions of dollars and, as is the case with banks, this money isn't liquid. It's invested to increase its profits.
In addition to delaying payment, most insurance companies will try the following in order to make you accept a lower accident settlement:
- Include charges with no explanation that require a lot of research and bureaucracy to explain.
- Present clients with a very small initial settlement offer, as many policy holders do not realize they do not have to accept the insurance company’s first offer.
- Stretch out negotiations for as long as possible in an effort to frustrate claimants.
Naturally, insurance companies are likely to fight harder when there is a significant amount of money at stake in a personal injury claim. Insurance adjusters understand that most accident victims have a limited understanding of the legal process and their own individual rights after an accident, and will use that to their advantage during the negotiation process.
Davis Law Group Has Recovered Millions Against GEICO Insurance
Below are just a few examples of personal injury lawsuits against GEICO Insurance successfully resolved on behalf of our clients. Many settlements are confidential.
- $1,777,888: Davis Law Group helped the victim of a head-on motor vehicle accident get back on their feet, securing a settlement exceeding $1 million.
- $795,000: A motorcyclist hit by an SUV recovered compensation.
- $500,000: A motor vehicle accident caused by a driver under the influence of drugs resulted in a settlement against GEICO.
- $450,000: A pedestrian walking in a parking lot was hit by a car.
- $310,000: Passengers involved in car crashes can recover significant compensation.
- $250,000: A driver recklessly operating a moped hit a pedestrian.
- $250,000: An unsafe left turn by a driver caused an innocent person significant medical bills.
- $225,500: Another unsafe lane change resulted in a settlement with GEICO insurance.
- $200,000: Heavy traffic can be dangerous. Stop-and-go traffic caused this rear end accident collision.
- $200,000: A driver failing to yield caused this accident settlement.
- $185,000: Our client was sideswiped by a van.
- $161,000: A head-on collision with another vehicle netted a large settlement against GEICO for our client.
- $150,000: A Renton, WA, teen was struck as a pedestrian by a car.
GEICO Insurance Claim Accident Lawyers
Davis Law Group founder Chris Davis is one of the most respected and recognized civil litigation lawyers practicing in Washington state. If you or a loved one has been seriously injured in a motor vehicle accident in Washington state, contact attorney Chris Davis and the team at Davis Law Group at (206) 727-4000 to schedule your free legal consultation.