A driver who is involved in a car accident in Washington state that results in injury or death of any person or damage to property of any one person greater than $1,000 must make a written report of the accident to the chief of police, county sheriff, or state patrol within four days of the incident. That obligation is waived if a report is made to a law enforcement officer at the time of the accident.
Car Accident Statistics For Washington StateAccording to 2017 data from the Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT):
- Fatal car accidents: 525
- Suspected serious injury collisions: 1,932
- Possible/suspected injury collisions: 34,311
- No apparent injury incidents: 84,225
- Total car accidents: 120,993
2017 Car Accidents By Type
- Distracted driver: 11,508
- Teen driver: 17,385
- Pedestrian: 2,386
- Bicycle: 1,205
- Drunk driver: 8,229
- Motorcycle: 2,122
- Bus: 1,203
- Large truck: 3,940*
Fatal Car Accidents In Washington State
- According to 2017 WSDOT data, a car accident occurs every 4 minutes and a person dies due to a car crash every 20 hours.
- Fatal crashes went from 508 in 2016 to 525 in 2017, resulting in the death of 555 people. This number has stayed relatively steady for the past decade.
- The highest number of crashes occur on Saturdays.
- The month of November held the highest number of crashes throughout the year.
- People in the 16-25 age group were the most at risk for being killed in a car accident.
2017 Fatal Accidents By Type
- Drunk driver: 110
- Distracted driver: 87
- Teen driver: 50
- Pedestrian: 107
- Motorcycle: 82
- Bicycle: 13
- Bus: 3
- Large truck: 32*
Serious Injury Car Accidents In Washington State
- According to WSDOT, the number of car accidents with suspected serious injuries totaled 1,932 for the year 2017.
- Suspected serious injury collisions went from 1,896 in 2016 to 1,932 in 2017, resulting in 2,229 serious injuries.
- King County accounted for 40,192 (33 percent) of car accidents in Washington state in 2017 and 538 (28 percent) of serious injury collisions.
- A person was injured in a crash about every 15 minutes.
2017 Serious Injury Accidents By Type
- Distracted driver: 201
- Teen driver: 201
- Pedestrian: 356
- Bicycle: 102
- Drunk driver: 365
- Motorcycle: 372
- Bus: 19
- Large truck: 61*
*Large truck accident data is for 2016.
Washington State Car Accident Updates
Note: Car accident statistics take time to calculate. We will keep up to date on the latest numbers released. Check back here for the latest Washington state car accident statistics.