This is a step-by-step emergency guide in case of a car accident.
It includes seven crucial steps that should be taken immediately and forms to gather the details of the accident.
- If the car accident was minor, move vehicles out of traffic and to a safe place
- Put car into park, turn off vehicle, and turn on the hazard lights
- If available, put out cones, warning triangles or flares for added safety
- Check on others involved in the crash (if safe)
Let the process play out. You shouldn’t feel pressured to admit fault or take the blame for anything that happened.
Even in minor accidents, calling the police is the best course of action. Be cooperative and helpful to police, but again, do not admit fault or blame others for the accident.
If anyone witnessed the accident, track them down and get their contact information.
Collect their name, address, and phone numbers so you or your attorney can contact them if necessary.
Take pictures of:
- All sides of each vehicle
- Closeup of the damage
- License plates of all vehicles
- Entire accident scene
- People involved, including passengers and witnesses
Find anyone else that was involved in the accident and gather the following information:
- Accident date and time
- Drivers and passengers: names and contact information
- Vehicle make, model and year
- Driver’s license numbers
- Driver’s license plate numbers
- Insurance companies and policy numbers
- Police officer information: department and police report number
- Document the accident day/date/time
- Document the weather and road conditions at the time of the accident
- Location of the accident
- Sketch the accident scene and make any notes you remember.
- Collect the towing company name and phone of your vehicle and the other vehicle