Free Legal Consultations Available 24/7
206-727-4000 or 866-595-3565

What Kind Of Insurance Coverage Is Required For Motorcycles In Washington State?

Thanks to the recent passage of a new law on July 28, 2019, motorcyclists in Seattle and across the state of Washington are required to carry a minimum of $25,000 in liability insurance coverage. That means that if a motorcyclist causes an accident by hitting a pedestrian, a bicyclist, another motorcyclist, or even a small car, that victim should be entitled to at least $25,000 in coverage from the at-fault motorcyclist’s insurance company for damages. 

Regardless of whether you or the other driver had insurance at the time of the collision, it’s often a good idea to speak with an experienced motorcycle accident attorney as soon as possible if you have been injured in an accident. 

motorcycle crash unsecured loadPersonal Injury Protection (PIP) Insurance & Motorcycles

Under Washington state law, insurance companies are not required to offer Personal Injury Protection coverage if you only ride a motorcycle. That is not the case for automobile insurance, where the carrier must offer PIP coverage on your auto policy unless you reject this coverage in writing. Even if you have PIP coverage under your auto policy, this coverage will likely not apply to your motorcycle unless the policy specifically provides coverage while operating your motorcycle.

PIP is considered no-fault coverage (PIP coverage starts at $10,000 per collision and can go up to $100,000) that will cover expenses like medical bills and time off work. PIP can also cover funeral expenses up to a certain amount. Since PIP is no-fault coverage, it will be offered to you regardless of which driver caused the accident.

Even if you think you’ll never need it, it is a very good idea to have PIP coverage. PIP is a “no-fault” type of insurance that will pay for your expenses no matter how an accident happened. Even if you’re the one at fault for an accident, PIP is available to you.

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Protection For Motorcycles

UM/UIM is another coverage option that insurance companies in Washington State are required to offer drivers but not motorcyclists. UM/UIM is an extremely important coverage, and even more vital for motorcyclists to have. This type of coverage will protect you if the other driver has no insurance or inadequate insurance to pay for all your damages. 

Since even a minor motorcycle accident can easily result in catastrophic injuries or death to the motorcyclist, it is important that the motorcyclist carry as much UM/UIM as he or she can afford. 

Get Legal Help After A Motorcycle Accident

At Davis Law Group, P.S., we have represented many motorcyclists who did not have this coverage or had a small amount when their injuries were very severe and their damages substantial. Many times the other driver will not carry enough insurance to cover all of the motorcyclist’s damages, so having high UM/UIM limits is well worth the money spent.

Simply put, the person operating a motorcycle should carry at least $500,000 to $1,000,000 of UM/UIM coverage. If you don’t have enough of this coverage, and you are injured by an uninsured or underinsured driver, you could be forced to file for bankruptcy if there is insufficient insurance to pay for your past and future medical bills.

Call our office in Seattle at (206) 727-4000 or use the confidential contact form on this page to request a free legal consultation with our award-winning team of personal injury attorneys.

Chris Davis
Connect with me
Chris Davis is the founder of Davis Law Group, P.S. in Seattle, WA.