Can a parent collect compensation for the wrongful death of a grown child?

The specific statute that permits an action for the wrongful death of a child applies only to minor children  - those under the age of 18. If the child is 18 years of age or older, then the general wrongful death statute applies (explained in earlier chapter).

A parent may only bring an action for the wrongful death of an adult child if that parent was financially dependent on the child at the time of death. Also, the parent can only maintain the action if the adult child was single and childless. If the adult child died while married or with children, then only those surviving relatives can benefit from the wrongful death case.

Chris Davis
Award-winning personal injury attorney and founder of Davis Law Group, P.S. in Seattle, Washington.