Updated on: 2/20/2019
A woman was struck and killed while riding a scooter along a street in Olympia on Tuesday, according to Olympia police.
The incident occurred around 11:45 a.m. in the 3000 block of Martin Way East.
A preliminary investigation found that the woman was riding a medical scooter west on Martin Way when a pickup truck pulled out of a driveway and struck her. The woman, in her 50s, was found deceased at the scene.
The driver of the pickup truck was not impaired and stayed at the scene, police say.
“Right now we just don’t see a criminal scene here. There’s no alcohol, nothing that indicates distracted (driving), anything like that,” Olympia police Lt. Paul Lower told the Olympian.
The crash remains under investigation.
Location of the Crash
Wrongful Death Lawyers Serving Olympia
A wrongful death case in Washington state can result in several types of compensation for the victim’s family, and the eligible amounts will vary from case to case. For more information about the wrongful death legal process, click here.
Generally, the surviving family can reasonably expect to collect financial compensation for:
- Burial and funeral expenses. A wrongful death claim will typically cover reasonable expenses related to the death.
- Medical expenses. These include hospital bills and treatment costs incurred from the deceased individual’s final injury or illness.
- Lost income. How much the deceased would have reasonably been expected to earn throughout the rest of his or her working life.
- Loss of companionship. This is a difficult factor to consider, but the court will assess the lost comforts, household duties, guidance and support the deceased provided to the family.
- Pain and suffering. This will vary greatly by case, but the family can sue for the pain and suffering the deceased experienced after the final injury or illness until death. The family can also sue for the suffering experienced because of the untimely death.
If you or someone you know has suffered from the wrongful death of a loved one, contact Davis Law Group today at (206) 727-4000.