Updated on: 2/21/2019
A woman in her mid-30s suffered severe injuries late Wednesday when she was hit by a car on southbound Rainier Avenue South, according to the Seattle Fire Department.
KOMO reports that police and medics arrived at the scene – near the Interstate 90 interchange – at about 11 p.m. Wednesday. The woman was taken to Harborview Medical Center. KOMO reports she is listed in critical condition.
The crash is still under investigation. The driver of the vehicle stayed at the scene.
Most Common Causes Of Pedestrian Accidents
1. Electronics: Both distracted walking and distracted driving is one of the top causes of pedestrian collisions. Many states, including Washington, have laws that prohibit all use of cell phones while driving.
2. Improper lane use: Most pedestrian accidents happen in the road, with about two-thirds occurring on city streets.
3. Unmarked crosswalks: Obeying the posted crosswalk signs at city intersections dramatically reduces the risk of a pedestrian collision. Watch out for distracted drivers, especially in locations where drivers are attempting to park.
4. Left-hand turns: These maneuvers are particularly dangerous because both the pedestrian and driver are looking elsewhere. Drivers are looking at oncoming traffic, while pedestrians are looking straight ahead.
5. Quiet cars: With more hybrid and electric vehicles on the road, it’s often tougher for pedestrians to hear a car coming.
6. Dark clothes: It’s no surprise that 70 percent of pedestrian collisions happen at night. It’s easier for drivers to spot someone wearing bright, easy-to-see clothing than dark clothes, especially in areas with poor street lighting.
7. Alcohol or drugs: Everyone is at a higher risk of danger when they are impaired. This goes for both drivers and pedestrians. According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, 37 percent of fatally injured pedestrians had a blood alcohol concentration above 0.08. Drivers in these collisions are intoxicated 13 percent of the time.
If You’ve Been In A Pedestrian Accident
Davis Law Group, P.S., is highly experienced in the field of personal injury law as it relates to pedestrian accidents. Attorney Chris Davis has over 20 years of legal experience representing pedestrians who have been seriously injured by drivers. These cases should never be taken lightly, and Davis Law Group understands how the outcome of these cases can significantly impact the future of our clients.
Insurance law can be complicated, and it’s especially hard for an injured victim to figure out what they need to do to get appropriate compensation after an accident. If you have any questions about the law, it’s a good idea to get in touch with a pedestrian accident attorney. If you would like to have a free case evaluation with our legal team about your rights as a victim, you can get in touch by using our chat feature below, calling (206) 727-4000, or using filling out the contact form on this page.