Child Injuries From Animal Attacks
A boy was bitten by a dog yesterday and transferred to a nearby hospital immediately after sustaining serious injuries.
The young boy is going to need reconstructive plastic surgery as advised by a surgeon at the hospital.
After dog attacks, children may undergo dozens of reconstruction surgeries throughout several years. Of course, this is very expensive and life changing – an experienced dog bite and child injury attorney can recover compensation on behalf of your claim.
It is reported that annual attacks each year could be as high as 25,000. However, the problem with this reporting, is that many owners do not report animal bites because they do not want their pets taken away. Therefore, the annual numbers are probably much lower than in actuality.
2010 Dog Bite Fatalities
• In 2010, there were 33 fatal dog attacks.
• Pit bulls lead dog attacks and are responsible for 67% of the fatalities.
• In 2010, the combination of pit bulls (22) and rottweilers (4) accounted for 79% of all fatal attacks. In the 6-year period from 2005 to 2010, this same combination accounted for 71% (129) of the total recorded deaths (181).
• From 2005 to 2010, pit bull killed 104 Americans, about one person every 21 days.
• Male represented about 60% of the victims in these attacks.
• The state of California led fatalities in 2010 with 7 deaths; pit bulls contributed to 83% (6). Florida followed with 3 deaths and Georgia, Illinois, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas each had 2 deaths.