Updated on: 10/12/2018
Questions About Human Performance Factors
These questions about how human performance factors that may have contributed to the Amtrak Cascades derailment disaster are critical to potential legal claims.
- Was there one engineer or a two-person engineering crew in the lead cab?
- Was the engineer somehow incapacitated moments before the accident?
- Did the train engineer experience a medical event that prevented him/her from properly controlling the locomotive?
- Was the engineer impaired in any way by alcohol, prescription drugs, illegal drugs, or any other type of impairment?
- Is there any evidence of cell phone use by the engineer during the trip and/or before the accident?
- Does Amtrak Cascades have a policy banning the use of distracting electronic devices by crew members?
- Was the engineer actively operating the train at the time of the accident?
- Was the engineer's attention diverted for some reason before or during the accident? What was his situational awareness?
- Did the Amtrak engineer accelerate the train without slowing to successfully negotiate the turn?
- How much training had the engineer received for this model locomotive?
- Had the engineer driven this new route before today? If so, how many hours of operational experience?
- Did the engineer have any training on preventative measures to avoid speed-related accidents?
- When was the last time the engineer attended any safety refresher courses?
- Were all Amtrak Cascades employees properly trained as defined by the Amtrak Service Standards Manual for Train Service and On-Board Service Employees?
- Did all crew receive the required Emergency Preparedness Training?
- Had all tenured crew complete their refresher training prior to the end of every two-year period?
- Prior to departure, did the operator perform a cab check and a functional brake system check?
- Did the operator perform an inspection of the cab lights, gauges and system indicators prior to departure?
- Did the operator verify that all bypass and cut-out switches were in the normal position and property sealed?
- Did the operator apply the emergency braking device?
- How often do supervisors conduct spot checks to ensure that all policies and procedures were being followed?
For more detailed information about the disaster, read AMTRAK CASCADES DERAILMENT DISASTER: A Legal Guide For Accident Victims/Survivors by the Amtrak train accident attorney team at Davis Law Group.