Motor coach manufacturers are always researching and redesigning vehicles to prevent injury and fatality in crashes with buses involving stationary objects such as a tree, pole, guardrail, or another vehicle. They enhance protection through a variety of technologies, improving the management crash energy, so that is does not affect the passengers.
These large vehicles are designed to protect passengers in a crash through compartmentalization, meaning that seatbacks are engineered to reduce injuries to passengers creating a “reverse airbag.” Meaning that soft cushion seatback in front of each passenger protects the passenger by creating a “cocoon of safety.”
Unseen Safety Innovations Safeguarding PassengersModern motor coaches have:
- All-wheel disc brakes for short stopping distances
- Anti-lock brakes
- Hydraulic retarders that allow drivers to use an additional braking system when going down steepincline
- Advanced air-ride suspension systems are often thought of as a passenger comfort feature, but they provide a safety benefit as well by maintaining coach stability during tight cornering maneuvers
- Coaches also have a third axle to enhance braking, load distribution and stability.
- Coaches can also be equipped with advanced fire suppression systems and Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS),which help reduce the risk of blow-out.