Free Legal Consultations Available 24/7
206-727-4000 or 866-595-3565

Mark Mullan Sentenced to 18 Years, 4 Months for Fatal Wedgwood Crash

Updated on: 3/21/2019

Mark Mullan, the man who allegedly caused a fatal drunk driving accident in the Wedgwood neighborhood of North Seattle that killed Judy and Dennis Schulte last March, was sentenced on Friday, November 15, to 18 years and four months in prison for the fatal accident he allegedly caused in March 2013 in the Wedgwood neighborhood of North Seattle.

Due to Mullan’s drunken state and choosing to get behind the wheel, prosecutors contended that he caused the death of Judy and Dennis Schulte and also critically injured their daughter-in-law as well as their grandson, who was just 10 days old at the time of the collision.

Mullan pleaded guilty on October 3, 2013 to charges of vehicular homicide and vehicular assault. The maximum sentence he could have received was 18 years, but the judge added on four months because Mullan did not have the ignition interlock device on his car in which he was court ordered to have due to a prior infraction.

Background on Drunk Driver, Mark Mullan

Mullan is a 51-year-old man who works as a journeyman electrician and has five prior drunken driving arrests, according to news reports about the incident. At the time of the crash, Mullan’s blood alcohol level was allegedly three times the legal limit.

He was also on probation when the crash occurred as a result of an infraction for driving with a suspended license, and he had been court-ordered to have an ignition interlock device installed on his vehicle.

Mullan broke many laws on that day in March, and he can only blame himself for the choices he made.

“The brother I wish you could have known is the brother I grew up with in Lake City,” Mike Mullan said, Mark’s twin brother. “It has truly broken our hearts this is where our brother has ended up.”

Pedestrians Suffered Critical, Life-Threatening Injuries

Judy and Dennis Schulte were taking an afternoon walk in their neighborhood of Wedgwood with their daughter in law Karina Ulriksen-Schulte and grandson Elias Schulte when they were hit head as they crossed Northeast 75th Street, 500 feet away from Karina’s home. The couple died at the scene as a result of the impact, while Karina and Elias were both critically injured and hospitalized.

Karina suffered from a broken pelvis and head injury from the collision. Later, she also suffered from a stroke due to blood clots resulting from the crash. Elias suffered a brain injury, skull fracture, and injuries to his liver and intestines so he had to undergo an emergency surgery.

Elias was only 10 days old on the day of the collision and due to the accident he may be blind and have brain damage for the rest of his life. He is now 10 months old and it is too soon to tell the extent of his brain damage, though there is hope that he will recover from his injuries.

"There are many questions left to be answered about our future, but I do know my brother and I were raised by parents who gave us solid values and roots. And that we will make something beautiful out of this tragedy," said Marilyn Schulte, Dan Schulte's sister.

Be the first to comment!
Post a Comment