Updated on: 11/22/2019
A woman was struck and killed by a car while crossing the street in Olympia on Sunday, according to police.
The incident occurred around 6:30 p.m. in the 700 block of Lilly Road.
A woman in her 40s sustained life-threatening injuries in the collision and was rushed to St. Peter Hospital, where she later died. Further information about the victim was not available.
An elderly woman was driving the vehicle that struck the pedestrian. She showed no signs of impairment.
Olympia police are trying to determine whether the victim was in the crosswalk at the time of the collision. The incident remains under investigation.
Location of the Collision
Factors That Influence Pedestrian Accident Claims
In general, pedestrian accident claims are handled much the same way that motor vehicle collisions are. A variety of factors are considered when a settlement is being negotiated between the insurance company and your legal team, including:
- The extent of the injuries. In serious accident cases, pedestrians are almost always left with life-changing injuries, including brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, broken bones, or severe pelvic injuries. In extreme cases the pedestrian may even be killed. The more serious the injuries the bigger the potential settlement.
- The details of the crash. Determining fault and sorting out the finer details of the collision will go a long way toward the final settlement.
- The amount of lost wages. Victims that are unable to work for extended periods of time may see a larger settlement.
- The extent of medical treatment. Multiple surgeries and a long and painful rehabilitation process make for a larger settlement.
- The amount of insurance coverage. The type and amount of insurance victims and the at-fault driver has will largely determine the potential settlement.
Washington State Pedestrian Lawyers
When someone is injured or killed in a pedestrian accident, he or she may be entitled to compensation for the damage caused in the collision. The surviving family may also file a wrongful death lawsuit in the event of a fatality.
Consulting with a skilled personal injury attorney will ensure his or her rights are protected. For a free case evaluation with an attorney at Davis Law Group, call (206) 727-4000. Our law firm handles cases all over Washington state.