Free Legal Consultations Available 24/7
206-727-4000 or 866-595-3565

1 Killed, Pregnant Woman and Child Injured in SR 432 Crash in Longview

Updated on: 7/8/2020

One person was killed, and a pregnant woman and a child were injured in a car accident on State Route 432 on Wednesday night in Longview, according to the Washington State Patrol. 

The incident occurred around 8:30 p.m. near Douglas Street. 

Police say that two women — a pregnant 23-year-old from Longview and a 21-year-old from Longview — as well as a 2-year-old girl, were in a station wagon. They were attempting to make a left turn off SR 432 onto Douglas Street when they were struck by a Ford F350 pickup truck coming in the opposite direction. 

The 21-year-old passenger in the station wagon was pronounced dead at the scene. The driver, a woman who is five months pregnant, was transported to St. John Medical Center in Longview in critical condition. In the back seat was the 2-year-old, who was injured and flown by Life Flight to Randall Children's Hospital in Portland.

The driver of the pickup, a 42-year-old Castle Rock man, was not injured. The cause of the crash was a failure to yield. Charges are pending an investigation. 

Location of the Collision

Wrongful Death Claims for a Passenger

Unfortunately, many passengers in a motor vehicle accident are unaware of their legal rights. These rights include their ability to bring a claim against an at-fault driver for medical expenses, or in fatal accident cases, the family of the deceased can bring a wrongful death claim

If multiple vehicles were involved in the collision, it’s important to establish who exactly is at fault. Many times fault lies with multiple people to varying degrees — for example, one driver was 70 percent at fault; the other 30 percent. 

If you were injured or a family member was killed as a passenger in an accident, you may be able to file an insurance claim for damages against the driver of the vehicle you were in. If the driver’s actions were negligent and caused you harm, they should be held accountable. 

If the passenger is killed in a motor vehicle accident due to the driver’s negligence, then the passenger’s heirs could potentially have the right to submit a claim for damages against the driver or operator of the vehicle. In these cases, the person who brings a claim must have been financially dependent (or dependent in some other way) upon the deceased person in one form or another.

READ: What Happens When You Have to Bring a Claim Against a Friend or Family Member?

Contact an Attorney ASAP

Contacting an attorney as soon as possible after an accident can strengthen your case significantly. Insurance companies begin gathering evidence moments after an accident. Bringing in a lawyer immediately to do the same helps you level the playing field.

Contact the Washington state personal injury lawyers at Davis Law Group by calling (206) 727-4000 to schedule a no-cost initial case evaluation. Because we take injury cases on a contingency fee basis, there is no fee unless we win.

Chris Davis
Connect with me
Chris Davis is the founder of Davis Law Group, P.S. in Seattle, WA.
Be the first to comment!
Post a Comment