If you have been in an automobile accident and aren’t sure if you need an attorney follow this guide to help you with your answer. This guide is best for Washington State residents.
It is a core value of the Davis Law Group to be honest with everybody that requests our legal services. Many times, if injuries are minor, people will benefit from not hiring an attorney. This is because the cost to hire an attorney could out-way the return compensation for your injuries. However, if injuries are substantial, then it has been proven that one will receive a higher settlement by acquiring the services of an attorney.
Every case is unique. Your case may not be adequately explained in the listed categories. If this is the case, please contact an attorney to discuss your legal options.
Do you need a personal injury attorney after an auto accident? Infographic Breakdown:
Were you injured recently and feel that someone else was at fault? Follow this flow chart and find out if you have a case. Note: Every case is unique and your circumstances may not apply. If you have any questions please call Davis Law Group for a free consultation.
Follow the web down until you reach an end.
1. When did the injury occur?
(This is important because the statute of limitations. The statute of limitations in Washington is 3 years. There are exceptions to the rule, so you should contact an attorney if you have any questions.)
- I was not involved in an accident –> You do not need an attorney
- Over 3 years ago –> You have no case after the statute of limitations has expired
- Less than 3 years ago –> continue to question #2
2. Who was at fault?
(Determining who is at fault is critical. In most cases, the police report determines who was found at fault. If it turns out that you were at fault you should be able to handle everything through your own insurance company.)
- I was –> You do not need an attorney
- We both were partially at fault –> continue to question #3
- The other guy! –> continue to question #3
3. How severe was the accident?
(The severity of your case will help determine if you need the assistance of an attorney. If there were only minor injuries then chances are you should be able to handle your claim on your own. )
- No injury –> You do not need an attorney
- Minor injuries, healed in a few weeks –> You do not need an attorney
- Moderate injuries, took a few months to heal –> continue to question #4
- Long term injuries –> Call Davis Law Group. You need an attorney
- A death occurred –> Call Davis Law Group. You need an attorney
4. What were your total medical bills?
- Below $10,000 –> You do not need an attorney
- $10,000 – $50,000 –> continue to question #5
- $50,000 – $100,000 –> Call Davis Law Group. You need an attorney
- over $100,000 –> Call Davis Law Group. You need an attorney
5. Did either party have insurance coverage?
- Both of us did not have insurance –> There is no claim to pursue
- The other party had insurance –> Call Davis Law Group. You need an attorney
- I had insurance –> Call Davis Law Group. You may need an attorney
Disclaimer: Information provided is intended as a public service for general information only. It is not a substitute for legal advice. No person should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information.
Do You Need A Personal Injury Attorney? [Infographic] by Davis Law Group is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.