Updated on: 2/26/2019
What is Mary’s Place?
Mary’s Place is a community-focused nonprofit that works with homeless women, children, and families in Seattle. Since 1999, they have been devoted to helping women find practical solutions for escaping homelessness. Their programs help homeless women find housing, employment, and resources for themselves and their families.
Why is holiday giving so important?
Seattle’s homelessness problem is worse than ever before, as skyrocketing rents have forced many families onto the streets. Winter is an especially difficult time to be homeless in Seattle, as low temperatures and frequent rainfall make it difficult to survive and thrive without adequate shelter.
Mary’s Place needs seasonal items including wool socks, winter jackets, and rain coats. It also needs hygiene products, over-the-counter medicines, and other items that women and children require year-round.
The charity is also gearing up for their Holly Jolly Party on December 21st. The Holly Jolly Party provides food, music, pictures with Santa, and the opportunity for families facing homelessness to select gifts for each other during the holiday season. The holiday season can be especially tough for families facing homelessness, and this event helps spread love and cheer in a festive and inclusive manner. Last year, their Holly Jolly Party hosted more than 1600 guests who came to find gifts for their family members and share holiday cheer.
How to donate
- Check the list below to find the items that Mary’s Place needs the most right now.
- Bring items to our building in downtown Seattle: 2101 4th Ave, Seattle, WA 98121
- Leave items in the brown box near the left-hand elevators
- Diapers (sizes 4,5,6)
- Baby wipes
- Baby formula
- Tote bags
- Re-usable grocery bags
- Wheeled luggage
- Underwear, bras, wool socks (women and children sizes)
- Winter jackets
- Rain coats
- Feminine hygiene products
- Vitamins, pain relievers, cold/allergy medicine, cough drops, first aid.
- Adult diapers
- Juice boxes
- Kids’ snacks
- Hair care products
- Reading glasses
- Gift cards for grocery, department, and drug stores
- Gift cards for coffee shops
- Wrapping paper
- Stick on bows
- Holiday gift bags
- Sticker to/from gift tags
- Individually wrapped holiday candy