Updated on: 4/16/2019
by Mischelle Weedman-Davis, Volunteer, MADD
Click images for full-sized photos. Photos: Jason Rantz, KTTH (left); Mischelle Davis, MADD (center); Guy Devillier, That's Amore! (center); Elisa Jaffe, KOMO Newsradio (right). See more photos below. Photo Credits: Mischelle Davis
Raising Awareness Of Drug Impaired Driving In Seattle
Just In Time For 'Weed Day' 2019
In Seattle, there are close to 13,000 crashes every year, resulting in an average of 20 deaths and more than 150 serious injuries. Drugs and/or alcohol are often a contributing factor.
Marijuana smokers (and maybe some non-smokers) recognize April 20 or 4/20 as Weed Day--a national holiday for cannabis culture. Just in time for Weed Day 2019, Seattle Department of Transportation's Vision Zero team has partnered with Lyft and a slew of of local media personalities for the Baked! Munchies Challenge to help raise awareness of pot-impaired driving and encourage impaired driving prevention.
Held at Tom Douglas' Hot Stove Society today, Baked! is a cooking competition--think of Food Network's Chopped! Members of the Seattle news media, local law enforcement, and Lyft drivers formed 5 teams and prepared a munchable snack in just 45 minutes using mystery ingredients. Traffic safety advocates, local restaurant owners, and Lyft employees were judges. Partial list of participants, competition rules, judging process and criteria are below.
Congratulations KOMO4 for being the winner 2 years in a row!!
SPECIAL NOTE: On 4/20/19 use code 420SEA19 to get $4.20 off your ride with Lyft!
Participants This is a partial list.
- Allsion Schwartz, Seattle DOT - Participant
- Todd Kelsay, Pacific Northwest GM, Lyft - Participant
- Guy Devillier the owner of That's Amore! restaurant - Judge
- Elisa Jaffe, KOMO Newsradio - Participant
- Jim Dever & Michael King, KING5 Evening Magazine - Participants
- Jason Rantz, KTTH/KIRO Radio - Participant
- Ellen Tailor, Q13 - Participants
- Sarah Anne Lloyd, Curbed - Participants
- Lester Black, The Stranger - Participants
- Mischelle Weedman-Davis, MADD - Judge
- Teams must comprise of representatives from different media outlets, the civic scene, the rec scene, and Lyft
- Teams must create a “munchie” dish using the criteria below
- Teams must incorporate 2 “secret ingredients”
- Dishes must be plated and served to judges by 11:30 am SHARP
- Teams must have fun :)
- Teams will present their plates (4 servings) to the judges.
- In order (1-5) teams will send 1 rep to the front to explain their concept
- Judges will taste each dish one by one
- After they’ve tasted each dish, they will leave briefly to determine a winner based on category criteria
More Event Photos
Photo Credit: Mischelle Weedman-Davis Click images for full-sized photo.