Free Legal Consultations Available 24/7
206-727-4000 or 866-595-3565

Adults vs. Minors: The Differences In Lawsuit Guidelines

Updated on: 11/6/2019

When minors are involved in a personal injury case, there are a number of unique tasks that need to be completed. This (general) list, gives you an idea of the various things an attorney will do when a child is the subject in a personal injury lawsuit:

• Educate and teach parents and/or child about the court approval and Settlement Guardian and Litem process

• Draft and file petition to appoint the Settlement Guardian and Litem (SGAL) in cases involving children.

• Meet and confer with the SGAL to discuss the case and provide all relevant information regarding the child’s claim

• Review and analyze the SGAL’s report regarding the recommendation to approve or reject the child’s personal injury settlement

• Draft and prepare the petition asking the court to approve the minor child’s settlement

• Attend and argue the court hearing regarding the approval of the minor child’s settlement

• If a blocked account is to be opened for the child, provide the financial institution with necessary information

• If an annuity is to be purchased, provide the furnisher of that annuity with all necessary information and complete all necessary paperwork, release forms, disclosure statements, etc

• If a trust fund is to be created for the benefit of the child, review and complete all necessary paperwork, release forms, disclosure statements, etc

• Draft and file in court the appropriate written proof or receipts showing creation of the blocked account, annuity purchase, or managed trust account

Contact A Child Injury Lawyer

Seattle child injury attorney Chris Davis has over 25 years of experience with cases regarding children. If your child has been injured, contact Mr. Davis at Davis Law Group, P.S., (206) 727-4000. The call is free. The information may be priceless.

Be the first to comment!
Post a Comment