Updated on: 3/19/2018
Dog rescue organizations, animal shelters, pet adoption groups and private individuals who sell or transfer ownership of a dog can be held legally liable if they fail to share important information, such as aggressive behavior or a history of biting, with the dog's new owner. It is unethical, and in many cases illegal, to keep a dog’s history of biting or hostile behavior secret from a buyer/new dog owner. The adoption agency or shelter has a duty to inform new owners of a dangerous dog's history.
Chris Davis, considered by many to be Washington State's top dog bite attorney, and the Davis Law Group team have handled a number of cases that involve a shelter dog or adopted dog whose violent history was withheld from the new owners. These dogs later attacked a child, family member, friend or neighbor. Attack victims are entitled to compensation for medical bills, lost wages and other damages including pain and suffering.
If you, a family member, or loved one has been bitten by a shelter dog you may benefit from consulting with a personal injury attorney who has experience in handling dog bite claims. Contact Davis Law Group, P.S. at 206-727-4000 for a free legal consultation to determine if hiring a lawyer could add value to your case.
Animal Rescue in Washington State
This is a partial list of adoption services and rescue groups in Washington State.
- The Humane Society for Seattle/King County - Bellevue
- Whatcom County Humane Society - Bellingham
- King County Animal Control - Kent
- PAWS Companion Animal Shelter - Lynnwood
- Thurston County Animal Shelter - Olympia
- Animal Talk Rescue - Seattle
- Compassioned Animal Rescue and Education - Seattle
- Rescue Every Dog - Seattle
- Seattle Animal Control - Seattle
- Seattle Purebred Dog Rescue - Seattle
- Adopt-A-Pet - Shelton
- Dog Rescue Around Washington - Tacoma
- The Humane Society for Tacoma and Pierce County - Tacoma
- Southwest Washington Humane Society - Vancouver
- It's Meow or Never Animal Rescue & Sanctuary - Woodinville
- Humane Society of Central Washington - Yakima