Three people were injured Thursday when their car rolled and crashed just south of Kennewick, according to the Benton County Fire District.
The incident occurred around 2:30 p.m. near Beck Road and Nine Canyon Road. The Honda Accord was traveling down the road when it hit a dirt bank and rolled several times. All of the people inside the car were injured, and one was thrown from the vehicle.
One passenger was airlifted to the hospital. The other two were transported by ambulance to local hospitals.
Police say the crash should act as a warning for people driving on back roads. Changing surfaces — especially when speeding — present a real danger to drivers.
Rural Roads More Dangerous Than Urban Roads
While some people associate rural, country roads with a laid-back lifestyle, these roadways claim more lives every year than urban roads. According to 2013 data from the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration:
- Urban roads: 14,026 crashes, 14,987 fatalities
- Rural roads: 15,998 crashes, 17,696 fatalities
These hilly, winding roads — particularly when traveling at high speeds — can be deadly. When changing surfaces are added to the mix, it's especially dangerous.
Facts & Statistics On Rollover Accidents
- Taller, narrower vehicles are more likely to rollover
- A person is 75 percent less likely to be killed in a car rollover if he or she is wearing his/her seat belt
- Rollover crashes account for 33 percent of all passenger vehicle fatalities
- More than 10,000 people a year are killed in rollover crashes
Causes Of Rollover Accidents
Like with other types of motor vehicle accidents, rollover accidents can cause significant injuries to drivers and their passengers, which often result in costly medical bills and future rehabilitative treatment for victims and their families. If you are involved in a rollover car accident, there is a strong likelihood that you may be injured, and this can only further complicate the situation.
Here are the most common causes of rollover car accidents:
- Vehicle type: All types of vehicles can rollover, but cars that have higher center of gravity, such as an SUV or large truck, are more susceptible to rollover
- Speed: Rollovers are speed related
- Driving under the influence: Impairment from alcohol can make more drivers likely to lose control of their car
- Location: As stated above, rural roads that do not have barriers or division are more likely to be a scene of a rollover accident
Hiring a prominent lawyer with experience in handling rollover accident cases can be extremely beneficial to accident victims and their families if the damages are high. Insurance companies tend to fight back against high-valued claims, and this can be an extremely frustrating experience for someone who has suffered physical and emotional trauma after an accident.
If a person is involved in a rollover car accident and was fortunate enough to escape without any major injuries to themselves or their fellow passengers, they may be able to pursue and negotiate a settlement on their own without hiring a personal injury attorney. However, it is important that victims understand their legal rights when navigating the personal injury legal process, and victims may benefit from consulting with an experienced personal injury attorney.
Contact Davis Law Group, P.S., today at (206) 727-4000, use the chat feature below or fill out the form on this page for a free case evaluation.