Pedestrian / Crosswalk Accident Lawsuits, Settlements & Verdicts in Washington
Drivers are required to yield the right-of-way to pedestrians who are legally crossing the street. Whether on a sidewalk, in a crosswalk, walking, or running, pedestrians are extremely vulnerable and at risk of being injured. When drivers fail to use caution and crash into a pedestrian, the victim is often left with serious injuries, mounting medical bills, the inability to work, and pain and suffering.
Legal Rights of Victims of Pedestrian Accidents
Davis Law Group has represented numerous pedestrian accident victims & families of pedestrians killed by motorists since the firm was founded in 1994. Davis Law Group, P.S. founder Chris Davis is one of the most respected and recognized civil litigation lawyers practicing in Washington State. Davis Law Group has been named Best Injury Law Firm in Washington State by AI Dispute Resolution Awards.
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured in a pedestrian accident in Washington State contact attorney Chris Davis and the team at Davis Law Group at 206-727-4000 to schedule your free legal consultation.
Exceptional Settlements and Verdicts Recovered
$415,000 for a young boy who suffered
$400,000 for a man who was badly hurt after being hit by a company
$275,000 for the family of a pedestrian who was killed after being struck by an elderly driver in an SUV. Read More
When Hiring a Lawyer May Help Your Case
Not all pedestrian accident victims need the assistance of a lawyer, but it may be in your best interests to at least discuss your case with an attorney to evaluate your options. Hiring a lawyer does not automatically mean that a lawsuit will be filed, as more often than not attorneys are able to negotiate settlements for their clients before the case goes to court.
When necessary, litigation not only serves the purpose of compensating an accident victim, but holding negligent persons and companies accountable for their actions. Lawsuits can help change the law. Successful cases can help facilitate change in awareness, behavior, and the law which may help prevent future injuries and fatalities.
Washington State & King County Pedestrian Accident Statistics
- Each year in Washington State, pedestrian fatalities account for 12 percent to 14 percent of all fatal motor vehicle accidents.
- In Washington State, 60 percent of collisions are located on city streets, where people are expected to travel on foot.
- More than 30 percent of fatal collisions are on state roads that are typically considered regional or trans-regional facilities dedicated principally to vehicular traffic and designed accordingly (Washington State DOT).
- Highway 99 (Aurora Avenue North) was the site of 43 percent of the pedestrian accident in King County and 16 percent for Washington State as a whole during a five-year period in a recent study.
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
Many reported pedestrian accidents are caused by negligent drivers who fail to yield or take proper precautions in crosswalks and other high traffic areas. These situations include:
- Inattention: A failure by drivers to check for pedestrians in crosswalks prior to driving through them.
- Unmarked Crosswalks: Intersections are a hotspot for pedestrian accidents---especially if there is not a clearly marked crosswalk which is synced to a traffic signal.
- Left-Hand Turns: Three times as many people get hit by cars turning left than by cars turning right because both parties are looking elsewhere: The drivers are busy negotiating the intersection and street-crossers are looking straight ahead.
- Right on Red: Motorists that are turning right at a right light often fail to make a complete stop and fail to see pedestrians.
- Dark Clothes: Nearly 50 percent of all pedestrian accidents happen on the weekends and 70 percent happen at night.
- Turning: Drivers choosing to make turns without paying attention to their surroundings.