One dead in Colfax accident
Pedestrian collision cause unknown
Date: May 7, 2011, 05/07/2011
Location: Colfax, Whitman County, Washington
Type: Pedestrian accident, Motor vehicle collision
Outcome: One dead
A woman was struck and killed by a truck in Colfax on Saturday.
While crossing the 300 block of South Main Street around 3 p.m. 76-year-old Maryann Largent was struck and killed by a Chevy Truck driven by 57-year-old Jesse Kilpatrick.
Largent was taken to Whitman Community Hospital where she was later pronounced dead.
According to Colfax police, Kilpatrick has not yet been cited and the accident is still under investigation.
Colfax Fatal Accident Statistics
Fatal accident count: 3
Vehicles involved in fatal accidents: 3
Fatal accidents caused by drunken drivers: 1
Persons involved in fatal accidents: 6
Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents: 1
Pedestrian Accident Statistics
- Pedestrian Deaths in 1995: 5,584
- Pedestrian Deaths in 2005: 4,881 (NHTSA Traffic Safety Facts)
- Pedestrian Injuries in 1995: 86,000 (NHTSA Traffic Safety Facts)
- Pedestrian Injuries in 2005: 64,000 (NHTSA Traffic Safety Facts)
- According to the National SAFEKIDS Campaign, more than 46,000 children are injured each year in pedestrian accidents
- The total cost of pedestrian death and injury among children ages 14 and younger is $5.2 billion per year (Safe Kids Worldwide).
- 70 percent of pedestrian killed in 2005 were males.
- Almost three out of every four pedestrian fatalities occur in urban areas (74 percent).
- The top four states for pedestrian fatalities are California, Florida, Texas, and New York. These four states make up 42 percent of pedestrian fatalities nationwide while only accounting for 29 percent of the total traffic fatalities across the country.
- Nearly half (48 percent) of pedestrian fatalities occur on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday.
Pedestrian Right-Of-Way Law
The operator of a vehicle shall yield the right of way, slowing down or stopping, if need be to so yield to any pedestrian, but no pedestrian shall suddenly leave a curb or other place of safety and walk or run into the path of a vehicle which is so close that it is impossible for the driver to yield.
Seattle Pedestrian Accident Attorneys
Chris Davis and everyone at the Davis Law Group sends out their heartfelt condolences for the family and friends of Maryann Largent and hope they can find a knowledgeable wrongful death lawyer that will help settle their case and get them the compensation they deserve for suffering such a tragic loss. Statistically, children under age 16 are the most likely to be struck by a car, but elderly victims are the most likely to die as a result of pedestrian or crosswalk accident injuries. Most pedestrian accidents occur on the weekends during the evening hours. Pedestrian accidents in the late afternoon increase when daylight savings time is removed in the winter and the sun sets earlier.If you or a family member has suffered as the result of a crosswalk or pedestrian accident in Washington state, pedestrian accident attorney Chris Davis and the Davis Law Group, P.S. can help you. We are committed to helping injured pedestrians recover the just and fair compensation they are entitled to receive under the law.