One dead in Olympia train accident
Train collision cause under investigation
Four freight trains held up for hours
Date: March 30, 2011, 03/30/2011
Location: Olympia, Thurston County, Washington
Type: Train accident
Outcome: One dead
On Wednesday night, a woman was struck and killed by a freight train in Olympia.
An empty grain train that originated from Kalama, WA heading towards Grand Forks, ND struck and killed a 34-year-old woman whose name has not yet been released.
Authorities temporarily held four freight trains while they investigated the cause of the death. The accident is still under investigation.
Fatal Train Accident Statistics
- In 2007, there were 13,067 railroad related accidents, according to the Federal Railroad Administration's Office of Safety Analysis.
- These railroad accidents resulted in 851 deaths and 8,801 non-fatal injuries. Of the deaths, 338 occurred at highway railroad crossings and 473 were a result of trespassing on railroad rights-of-way and property.
- The statistics show that of the railroad accident injuries in 2007, 1,031 happened at highway railroad crossings and 398 of the injuries occurred due to trespassing.
- Train injuries and fatalities in the US have increased 15% since 1998, according to rail safety officials.
- While train injuries in car-train collisions at railroad crossings have clearly increased, derailments causing serious railroad injuries in Amtrak train collisions have soared a shocking 32%.
- According to Federal Railroad Administration statistics the number of train derailments in 2001 was the highest since 1985.
- There are more than 250,000 highway-rail crossings in the United States, and collisions at crossings account for of 96% on train-caused injuries.
- Every 115 minutes, either a person or vehicle is hit by a train.
- Nearly half of all collisions at railroad crossings occur where automatic warning devices such as flashing lights or flashing lights with gates are present and are functioning properly
Seattle Wrongful Death Attorneys
Chris Davis and everyone at the Davis Law Group sends out their heartfelt condolences for the family and friends of the woman that was lost in this tragic and hope they can find a knowledgeable wrongful death lawyer that will help settle their case and get them the compensation they deserve for suffering such a tragic loss. If you or a family member has suffered as the result of a car accident, Seattle accident attorney Chris Davis and the Davis Law Group, P.S. can help you. We understand the devastation that can occur as a result of being in a serious auto accident. We are committed to helping car accident, train accident, trucking accident, and motorcycle accident victims recover the just and fair compensation they are entitled to receive under the law.