Date: August 20, 2011, 08/20/2011
Location: Yelm, Thurston County, Washington
Type: Motor vehicle collision
Outcome: Two injured
Two people were injured in a collision near Yelm on Saturday.
Around 4 p.m., while driving on Yelm Highway, a 44-year-old woman crossed the center line and crashed into a westbound motor home, rolling it onto its side.
The woman was airlifted to Harborview Medical Center with serious injuries and her infant passenger suffered minor injuries. The driver of the motorhome, a 40-year-old man, was not injured.
The cause of the accident is still under investigation by Washington State Patrol.
Yelm, Washington Fatal Accident Statistics
- Fatal accident count: 4
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents: 4
- Fatal accidents caused by drunken drivers: 4
- Fatalities: 4
- Persons involved in fatal accidents: 5
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents: 1
National Car Accident Statistics
- There were more than 5.5 million car accidents in the United States.
- Nearly 31,000 were fatal, and more than 2 million people were injured.
- The majority of fatal crashes involved only one vehicle (61 percent).
- Nearly half of all fatal crashes occurred on roads with posted speed limits of 55 mph or higher.
- The deadliest month for car crashes was August.
- More than 2,864 fatal crashes occurred in 2009.
- Most crashes happened between 5 and 5:59 p.m. on weekdays, and between 2 and 2:59 a.m. on weekends.
- 59.6% of all speed-related deaths occurred on rural roads- for vehicle-occupants alone the percentage was 62.3%. However, a larger majority of motorcyclist, bicyclist, and pedestrian deaths occurred on urban roads, with 57.5%.