-Three killed in Belfair car accident
-Motor vehicle collision caused by DUI
-Driver to be charged with vehicular homicide
-State Route 3 was closed for several hours
Date: March 6, 2011, 03/06/2011
Location: Belfair, Mason County, Washington
Type: Car accident, DUI collision
Outcome: Three dead
Around 3:45 a.m. on Sunday morning, five young men were traveling in Belfair in 1990 Chevy Corsica driven by 20-year-old James Schuchard, when the vehicle left the roadway and crashed into a large tree.
Headed southbound on State Route 3, Schuchard was unable to negotiate a left hand turn and lost control of his vehicle. The collision resulting in the deaths of three passengers: 22-year-old Bryan Blackburn, 20-year-old Daniel Tedder, and 20-year-old Tyler Jankunas. All three were found dead at the scene.
Schuchard and another passenger, 18-year-old Benjamin D. Blackburn, were injured. Schuchard was airlifted to Harborview Medical Center in critical condition. Blackburn was taken to Mason Genreal Hospital for treatment.
Washington State Patrol believes that alcohol played a factor in the crash and Schuchard will be charged with vehicular homicide. State Route 3 was closed for several hours while the scene of the accident was investigated.
Belfair Fatal Accident Statistics
Fatal accident count: 4
Vehicles involved in fatal accidents: 7
Fatal accidents caused by drunken drivers: 1
Persons involved in fatal accidents: 11
Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents: 0
MADD Drunk Driving Statistics
- This year, 10,839 people will die in drunk-driving crashes - one every 50 minutes.
- High school students who use alcohol or other substances are five times more likely to drop out of school or believe good grades are not important.
- An average drunk driver has driven drunk 87 times before first arrest.
- One in three people will be involved in an alcohol-related crash in their lifetime.
- One in three 8th graders drinks alcohol.
- One in five teens binge drink.
- Only 1 in 100 parents believes his or her teen binge drinks.
- Teen alcohol use kills about 6000 people each year, more than all illegal drugs combined.
Washington State Drunk Driving Law
A person is guilty of driving while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or any drug if the person drives a vehicle within this state:
(a) And the person has, within two hours after driving, an alcohol concentration of 0.08 or higher as shown by analysis of the person's breath or blood
(b) While the person is under the influence of or affected by intoxicating liquor or any drug
(c) While the person is under the combined influence of or affected by intoxicating liquor and any drug.
Seattle Wrongful Death Attorneys
Chris Davis and everyone at the Davis Law Group sends out their heartfelt condolences for the family and friends of Bryan J. Blackburn of Bremerton; Daniel S. Tedder of Belfair, and Tyler S. Jankunas of Allyn and hope they can find knowledgable wrongful death lawyers that will help settle their cases and get them the compensation they deserve for suffering such tragic losses.
View Larger Map