One injured in West Seattle pedestrian accident
Pedestrian vs. Car collision caused by teen running into road
Date: January 15, 2011, 01/15/2011
Location: West Seattle, King County, Washington
Type: Pedestrian accident, Car accident
Outcome: One injured
Around 12:30pm on Saturday a pickup hit a pedestrian, that was reported to be an autistic teenage male around 15-years-old. According to witnesses, the teen darted out in front of the truck and gave the driver no time to brake.
The victim was taken to Harborview Medical Center and was reported to be in serious condition by the King County Sheriff's Office. The road was closed for a few hours while the scene of the accident was investigated.
Pedestrian Accident Statistics
- According to the National SAFEKIDS Campaign, more than 46,000 children are injured each year in pedestrian accidents
- The total cost of pedestrian death and injury among children ages 14 and younger is $5.2 billion per year (Safe Kids Worldwide).
- 70 percent of pedestrian killed in 2005 were males.
- Almost three out of every four pedestrian fatalities occur in urban areas (74 percent).
- Nearly half (48 percent) of pedestrian fatalities occur on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday.
Washington Pedestrian Law
Every pedestrian crossing a roadway at any point other than within a marked crosswalk or within an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the roadway. Read RCW 46.61.240 for more information.
Seattle Pedestrian Accident Attorneys
The Davis Law Group is dedicated to representing those who have suffered a loss or disability through in a bicycle accident, crosswalk accident, or pedestrian collision. In most cases the insurance company will allege comparative fault or negligence against the accident victim. If you or a family member has suffered personal injury as the result of a pedestrian, crosswalk, or bicycle accident, Seattle injury attorney Chris Davis and the Davis Law Group, P.S. can help you.
View Larger Map