One killed in Klendon accident
Motor vehicle collision caused by speeding
Date: May 22, 2011, 05/22/2011
Location: Klendon, Yakima County, Washington
Type: Car accident, Motor vehicle collision
Outcome: One dead
A teenager was killed in a one-car collision near Klendon early Sunday morning.
Washington State Patrol reported that 17-year-old Sesar Villa Cruz was speeding on Summitview Road when he lost control of his vehicle and rolled. He was thrown from the vehicle and died at the scene.
The accident is still under investigation and have not reported whether Villa Cruz was wearing a seat belt or was under the influence at the time of the crash.
Washington State Speed Related Accident Statistics
- Speeding-related fatalities have been increasing over the past ten years. The number of speed-related deaths from 1997 to 2001 was 237.8, while the average from 2002 to 2006 was 244, a 2.6% increase.
- In 2006, Washington experienced the second highest number of speed-related fatalities since 1997, with 253, second only to 2002’s number of 260.
- The speed-related fatality rate per 100 million vehicle-miles-traveled has decreased slightly, from .47 in 1997 to .45 in 2006, a 4.3% decrease.
- 59.6% of all speed-related deaths occurred on rural roads- for vehicle-occupants alone the percentage was 62.3%. However, a larger majority of motorcyclist, bicyclist, and pedestrian deaths occurred on urban roads, with 57.5%.
- On average, from 1997 to 2006, the speed-related fatality rate per vehicle-miles-traveled on rural roads was 2-4 times higher than the respective urban road rate. Rural county roads experienced the largest percentage of speed-related deaths, with 30.7%, followed by rural highways, with 20%, and urban city streets, with 19.6%.
Washington State Speeding Law
No person shall drive a vehicle on a highway at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under the conditions and having regard to the actual and potential hazards then existing. In every event speed shall be so controlled as may be necessary to avoid colliding with any person, vehicle or other conveyance on or entering the highway in compliance with legal requirements and the duty of all persons to use due care.
Seattle Wrongful Death Attorneys
Chris Davis and everyone at the Davis Law Group sends out their heartfelt condolences for the family and friends of Sesar Villa Cruz and hope they can find a knowledgeable wrongful death lawyer that will help settle their case and get them the compensation they deserve for suffering such a tragic loss. If you or a family member has suffered as the result of a car accident, Seattle car accident attorney Chris Davis and the Davis Law Group, P.S. can help you. We understand the devastation that can occur as a result of being in a serious auto accident. We are committed to helping car accident, trucking accident, and motorcycle accident victims recover the just and fair compensation they are entitled to receive under the law.