Sample Demand Letter - Personal Injury or Car Accident Case
SPECIAL NOTE: Insurance companies often take advantage of those individuals that attempt to handle their claim without the assistance of an experienced personal injury attorney.
What goes in a settlement demand letter?
If you are trying to handle your personal injury or car accident claim on your own you may, at some point, wish to submit what is known as a ‘demand letter’ to the insurance company of the person that caused the accident. Writing a clear, concise, and factual demand letter can increase the settlement amount in your claim.
The demand letter should include:
• Address your letter to the claims adjustor working on your case.
• Your full name, address and other contact information.
• Reference the claim number and the name of the policy holder (the person that caused the accident).
• Write a description of how the other driver’s negligence caused the accident;
• Offer a description of the seriousness of your injuries and their long-term impact on your life;
• Describe of how the injuries affect your lifestyle—how they have changed your activity level, physical capabilities, etc.
•Create an outline the medical treatment received to treat your injures;
•Give a full accounting of the related medical expenses, lost income/wages, etc.
At the close of the letter you will ask for a specific amount of money that will compensate for the harms that you suffered as a result of the accident. Attach any police reports, medical records, or other information that can validate the numbers in your demand letter. For complicated cases and those cases that involve serious injuries we do not recommend that you attempt to settle your case on your own
. The more complex the case or the higher the value the more resources the insurance company will devote to delaying, denying or defending the claim. Insurance companies often take advantage of those individuals that attempt to handle their claim without the assistance of an experienced personal injury attorney
. Before you inadvertently damage your car accident claim you may wish to consult with one of our personal injury lawyers.
To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."