Motorcyclist dies in Auburn crash
One dead in Auburn accident
Motorcycle accident caused by hitting an SUV
Date: May 30, 2011, 05/30/2011
Location: Auburn, Pierce County, Washington
Type: Motorcycle accident, Motor vehicle collision
Outcome: One dead
One person was killed in a motorcycle accident near Auburn on Monday night.
Shortly before 5 p.m. 35-year-old Shawn D. McDonald was riding his motorcycle south on State Route 167 when he collided with an SUV.
Auburn Valley Regional Fire Authority responded to the accident and pronounced McDonald dead at the scene. The people in the SUV were not injured.
According to Washington State Patrol, both vehicles were heading southbound and the SUV had stopped for traffic but the motorcycle failed to stop in time. The accident remains under investigation.
Motorcycle Accident Statistics
• The failure of motorists to detect and recognize motorcycles in traffic is the predominating cause of motorcycle accidents. The driver of the other vehicle involved in collision with the motorcycle did not see the motorcycle before the collision, or did not see the motorcycle until too late to avoid the collision.
• Fifty-five percent of all reported fatal motorcycle crashes occurring nationally in 1998 involved multiple vehicle crashes and 45% occurred in single-vehicle crashes.
• Five crash types account for 86% of fatal motorcycle crashes: motorcycle runs-off-road 41%, motorcycle or other vehicle runs traffic control 18%, head-on collision 11%, car turns in front of cycle 8% and motorcycle goes down in roadway 7%.
• Forty-five percent of deaths in single-vehicle motorcycle crashes in 1998 included drivers with blood alcohol concentration at or above 0.10%.
• Nine out of 10 motorcycle deaths in 1998 were males. Seventy-seven percent of the females who died in a motorcycle crash were passengers and 98% of males who died were drivers.
Seattle Motorcycle Accident Attorneys
Chris Davis and everyone at the Davis Law Group sends out their heartfelt condolences for the family and friends of Shawn D. McDonald and hope they can find a knowledgeable wrongful death lawyer that will help settle their case and get them the compensation they deserve for suffering such a tragic loss. If you have been in a motorcycle accident in Washington State, you may be facing severe injuries, physical pain, emotional distress, and financial hardships you may need the help of a Washington motorcycle accident attorney. The Washington motorcycle accident attorneys at Davis Law Group are experienced in helping injured motorcyclists in Washington obtain fair compensation for their losses. Our Washington based motorcycle lawyers can assist you in all aspects of your case including: questions about motorcycle repair or replacement, dealing with insurance adjustors, making sure your medical bills are paid, documenting your lost work and wages, and obtaining a fair settlement.