A man was attacked by a pit bull and lost both of his arm to amputations. The 61-year-old recently lost his arm in an operation.
The victim also has a deep gash on his right leg as a result from the pit bull attack that took place on Aug. 3.
2010 Dog Bite Fatalities
• In 2010, there were 33 fatal dog attacks.
• Pit bulls lead dog attacks and are responsible for 67% of the fatalities.
• In 2010, the combination of pit bulls (22) and rottweilers (4) accounted for 79% of all fatal attacks. In the 6-year period from 2005 to 2010, this same combination accounted for 71% (129) of the total recorded deaths (181).
• From 2005 to 2010, pit bull killed 104 Americans, about one person every 21 days.
• Male represented about 60% of the victims in these attacks.
• The state of California led fatalities in 2010 with 7 deaths; pit bulls contributed to 83% (6). Florida followed with 3 deaths and Georgia, Illinois, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas each had 2 deaths.