One injured in Whidbey Island accident
Motor vehicle accident caused by driver inattention
Date: May 19, 2011, 05/19/2011
Location: Oak Harbor, Island County, Washington
Type: Car accident, Motor vehicle collision
Outcome: One injured
A man was injured in a collision on Whidbey Island on Thursday.
While traveling on his three-wheeled Honda motorcycle on Highway 20, 73-year-old Robert Stahl was turning into a parking lot when he was struck by a truck driven by a 22-year-old male.
Stahl suffered a fractured leg and was transported to Whidbey General Hospital. The other driver wasn't injured and WSP says the cause was that he did not see Stahl when he was pulling out of the parking lot.
Motorcycle Accident Statistics
- The failure of motorists to detect and recognize motorcycles in traffic is the predominating cause of motorcycle accidents. The driver of the other vehicle involved in collision with the motorcycle did not see the motorcycle before the collision, or did not see the motorcycle until too late to avoid the collision.
- Fifty-five percent of all reported fatal motorcycle crashes occurring nationally in 1998 involved multiple vehicle crashes and 45% occurred in single-vehicle crashes.
- Five crash types account for 86% of fatal motorcycle crashes: motorcycle runs-off-road 41%, motorcycle or other vehicle runs traffic control 18%, head-on collision 11%, car turns in front of cycle 8% and motorcycle goes down in roadway 7%.
- Forty-five percent of deaths in single-vehicle motorcycle crashes in 1998 included drivers with blood alcohol concentration at or above 0.10%.
- Nine out of 10 motorcycle deaths in 1998 were males. Seventy-seven percent of the females who died in a motorcycle crash were passengers and 98% of males who died were drivers.
Seattle Motorcycle Accident Attorneys
Road accidents, including motorcycle accidents, typically occur because of negligence. Motorcyclists are especially susceptible to accidents because motorcycle drivers are often overlooked by other drivers because of their size. Often times the injuries received in a motorcycle accident are serious, long-lasting and catastrophic because the motorcycle operator does not receive adequate protection from serious injury like the operator of an automobile does. If you have been in a motorcycle accident in Washington State, you may be facing severe injuries, physical pain, emotional distress, and financial hardships you may need the help of a Washington motorcycle accident attorney. Chris Davis and the Washington motorcycle accident attorneys at Davis Law Group are experienced in helping injured motorcyclists in Washington obtain fair compensation for their losses.