One dead in Clarkston car accident
Head on collision caused by DUI
Date: March 8, 2011, 03/08/2011
Location: Clarkston, Asotin County, Washington
Type: Car accident, DUI collision
Outcome: One dead
A man from Lewiston died on Tuesday night after colliding with a guardrail and another vehicle.
While driving on Red Wolf Bridge near Clarkston around 9:30 p.m. 39-year-old James Cornelia drifted from the road and slammed into a guardrail. The impact of the crash sent Cornelia's car over the centerline hitting a vehicle driving the opposite direction head on.
The other car was carrying three people, only one 20-year-old passenger was injured in the accident, and was taken to the hospital for treatment.
Cornelia was killed instantly, and investigators believe that alcohol played a role in the crash. 50 to 75% of convicted drunk drivers continue to drive on a suspended license.
Clarkston Fatal Accident Statistics
Fatal accident count: 9
Vehicles involved in fatal accidents: 12
Fatal accidents caused by drunken drivers: 4
Persons involved in fatal accidents: 17
Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents: 2
National Drunk Driving Statistics
- In 2008, an estimated 12.4% of persons ages 12 or older drove under the influence of alcohol at least once during the past year. The rate was highest among persons ages 21-25 (26.1%).
- In 2008, 11,773 people were killed in alcohol-impaired driving crashes, accounting for nearly one third (32%) of all traffic-related deaths in the United States.
- This year, 10,839 people will die in drunk-driving crashes - one every 50 minutes.
- An average drunk driver has driven drunk 87 times before first arrest.
- Drunk driving costs each adult in this country almost $500 per year.
- One in three people will be involved in an alcohol-related crash in their lifetime.
Washington State Drunk Driving Law
Washington State law provides that the drivers on the road have the duty to not operate a motor vehicle when under the influence of alcohol. See RCW 46.61.502.
Seattle Car Accident Victim Lawyers
The drunk driving victim lawyers at Davis Law Group have experience dealing with collisions that were caused by someone who was under the influence of alcohol. If you have been injured or a loved one has been killed due to drunk driving crash Seattle attorney Christopher Davis has a team of dedicated and experienced lawyers that will fight for the highest possible compensation for you.