There are thousands of cases of elder abuse and neglect every day. How can we prevent this problem from reoccurring? We have a few simple, easy tips that may help more than you think.
The three most important things you can do:
- Listen – to seniors and caregivers
- Interview – when you suspect elder abuse
- Educate – teach others to be aware of this problems and the signs and symptoms associated
As a caregiver, you can:
- Request help if you need it. There’s no shame in letting people know you are overwhelmed – atleast they know that you care.
- Find an adult day care program
- Don’t forget about yourself – make sure you are getting adequate food, sleep and healthcare
- Do activities that help you reduce stress
- If you are feeling depressed, seek help. Do not take it out on the people you care for
- Find a support group – they will be a group of people that can relate to you
- Get help if you are experiencing problems with drug or alcohol abuse
Click on the links below to read more information on elder abuse:
What is Elder Abuse?
Signs and Symptoms of Elder Abuse