Delivery truck accidents can be very serious and sometimes fatal. Majority of the time, a delivery truck is going to be much larger than the other vehicle it collides with. Naturally, the smaller vehicle is going to experience the most damage.
Some trucks weigh more than 80,000 pounds. The following statistics can help you better understand the severity behind delivery truck accidents:
- The majority of fatal truck accidents occur in rural areas, on a weekday, and in the daytime.
- There are over 500,000 truck accidents each year in the United States
- Nearly 5,000 deaths are caused annually due to truck accidents
- In 2003, there were 58,512 total vehicle accidents involved in fatal crashes. Out of those, 4669 were large trucks.
- 12% of all traffic deaths in the U.S. are a result of truck accidents. In an accident with a big rig, the passenger or driver of the motor vehicle is killed 98% of the time.
- Large trucks are more likely to be involved in an accident that results in death than a passenger vehicle.