Date: October 20, 2011, 10/20/2011
Location: Seattle, King County, Washington
Type: Bicycle collision
Outcome: One injured
One person was injured in a bicycle collision in Seattle on Thursday night.
A man riding his bike in the right lane of Aurora Avenue North when he turned in front of a car that was driving in the middle lane.
The cyclist was taken to Harborview Medical Center with serious head injuries.
The driver was not injured and did not appear to be impaired in any way.
Seattle Police Department investigated the accident.
Bicycle Accident Statistics
- Head injuries account for 60 percent of cycling fatalities.
- 1 in 8 of the cyclists with reported injuries has a traumatic brain injury. Two-thirds of bicycle accident deaths are from traumatic brain injuries.
- In 2009, 630 bicyclists were killed and 51,000 were injured nationally.
- Cyclist deaths made up 2 percent of all motor vehicle traffic deaths.
- Seventy percent of bicyclist deaths occurr in urban areas.
- The average age of bicyclists killed in traffic accidents in 2009 was 41. The average age for those injured was 31.
- More than eighty-five percent of people killed in 2009 in bicycle crashes were male.
- Nearly 31,000 were fatal, and more than 2 million people were injured.
- The majority of fatal crashes involved only one vehicle (61 percent).
- Nearly half of all fatal crashes occurred on roads with posted speed limits of 55 mph or higher.
- The deadliest month for car crashes was August.
- More than 2,864 fatal crashes occurred in 2009.
- Most crashes happened between 5 and 5:59 p.m. on weekdays, and between 2 and 2:59 a.m. on weekends.